Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Volquartsen barrel before and I had to freeze it, heat the reciever and use a rubber mallet to get that thing in. Will the Lightweight Barrel be that hard to get in? Mine should be here in a couple of days, but from what I understand they are somewhat fragile. So how do I safely install it? SDshooter

·
Registered
377 Posts
My carbon fiber Volq. was quite difficult to install due to its slightly oversized diameter as compared to the action. I'm sure I used a piece of wood (or something like it) to gently drive it in. If the extractor slot hadn't lined up just right I'd have been in trouble (not sure how I'd remove it). PS - I have really enjoyed this barrel!!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I had to tap mine in also, the directions told me how to do it. Unfortunately they don't cover removing it, in fact I think mine is now a permanent part of the reciever.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Removal Of "Tight" Barrels

1. Make sure your rifle is UNLOADED in both the chamber and the magazine.
2. Remove the barreled action from the stock.
3. Remove the two screws holding the barrel V-Block retainer.
4. Remove the V-Block retainer.
5. Put a drop of penetrating oil on the barrel / receiver joint.
6. Pull the bolt to the rear, and then allow it to "slam" forward.
7. Repeat above until the barrel is free...! ! :)

For very stubborn barrels..... :(

Phase II: Heat the receiver only with a hair dryer on High until it is almost too hot to touch; then, follow the procedure noted...! !

Reason this works: Aluminum expands faster than steel due to its greater coefficient of expansion.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Mike,

after 45 minutes of following that procedure two days ago, my barrel is still being held in captivity :(

not that big of a thing for me though :)

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
stratcat,

Phase II: Heat the receiver only with a hair dryer on High until it is almost too hot to touch; then, follow the procedure noted...! ! ;)

Reason this works: Aluminum expands faster than steel due to its greater coefficient of expansion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.