Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a new 22LR before spring gets here so that I have all summer to play with it before small game starts. PA game laws only allows use of manual loading firearms. So here is what I am looking at with that in mind.

Ruger NR9 Single Six 9" barrel
Savage Striker 501F 10" barrel
Taurus 980 12" barrel

I am planning on putting a Bushnell Trophy 2-6X32 scope on it. The price on these guns will all equal out to about the same, considering that the Savage will need a Rifle Basix sear to get a descent trigger.

I am looking at getting shooting an avg. of 35 yards. So here's the questions.

If you had / have one of the above or other, what is your opinion on it and what kind of accuracy did / do you have?

I am hoping for somewhere in the cover with a dime or better grouping. Thank you for your time and insite.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The striker seems to be a good one. Don't own one but have shot it. I hunt small game with an anshutz exemplar some. However one not mentioned that I frequently hunt with is a T/C contender. Production has ended and is going to be replaced with the G2. However used contenders are out there. With this purchase, additional game can be hunted by only changing the barrels. The Ruger should also prove very useful. I don't know anything about the Taurus.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Out of those you mentioned I would say the Striker has the best potential for shooting those 35 yard dime size groups. I think it would take a very good Single Six to be able to do it. I own a 5.5" SS model , never scoped it yet , but would be very thrilled to shoot a dime size groups at 35 yards with it! Not saying it can't be done - just saying , in my opinion , it would be more easily accomplished with a bolt action. Plus mounting a scope on a Single Six usually takes a fairly expensive mounting system.

As mentioned by handgunner the TC Contender is something I also own and it is not unusual to fire a dime dime size group at 50 yards using a 10" match 22lr barrel and a Burris 2X-7X scope set at 7X. So , 35 yard dime size groups should not be difficult at all. This is, of course, firing from a very solid rest.

Good luck with what ever handgun you wind up with!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had a six and a half inch stainless Single Six and took quite a few rabbits and woodchucks with it. Although it was not a tackdriver it was plenty good enough for the range you mentioned. I always used Stingers and and had good success, another thing I liked about it was the interchangable mag cylinder which made it nice for ***** which can be tough to kill when they have some size on them. All in all a nice tough use gun that can use a wide range of ammo. As far as the Striker goes I have never shot one but I would bet it will outshoot the Ruger. I did own an XP100 Rem in 221 that shot like a rifle but it was a bulky thing and did not fit my idea of a handgun, something reasonably light and handy to carry. I know nothing about the Taurus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have checked out the T/C Contender, I know someone who has one and I have shot it, it is just out of my price range for this project. If I did a T/C it would be in the Encore, so that it could handle heavier rounds. However, I have set a amout of $300 for the gun without the scope since I already have that. All the guns listed are under that amount. The S&W 617 8 3/8 barrel I could not find anywhere for under $450, so that blew that. I found a mount for the Ruger SS for around $40, if I go that route. The reason for dime sized groups are for the squirrels, thier heads are just not that big, when you place a dime one them there is not much lead way for any bigger groups.

Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good .22's for Handgun Hunting

Grovere,

I sympathize with being restricted to non semi-autos, I hunt in PA too. For my money, if you like revolvers, get a Smith & Wesson. I have 3 and they are simply superb! One is an older model 48 6" K frame. It is a .22 magnum with an additional factory fitted cylinder for .22 LR. Man can it shoot! 2" groups at 50 yards from a solid rest. I also have a model 63 4" stainless "kit gun", one of my favorites. It has taken quite a few rabbits and woodchucks. Recently got a 617 6" stainless K frame, Haven't even shot it yet. The triggers on all my Smiths are really good. Can't go wrong with 'em.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've used an early '70's vintage S&W Model 34 .22 Kit Gun (4" blue) for about 15 years and have been very happy with it -- extremely accurate, light, handy and has a trigger to die for, right out of the box. My other favorite is a mid 1920's vintage Colt Woodsman, 6.5" that is wicked accurate. A pity you're not allowed semi-autos. Good luck with your search!
John

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
back in the early 80's i used a dan wesson with a 8" barrel for all my squirrel hunting. for a wheel gun it sure shot well. i ended up trading it in some years later and have regreted it ever since. i presently shoot a mark II with a 6 7/8" target barrel. the dan wessons used to be a affordable gun but it has been a long time since i've priced one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.