Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my rifle back from Lapua. Went out this am to re tune with the Centerx my lot testing suggested. Attached are my initial 10 shot groups. Wonder what your thoughts are on where you would take it after these initial groups. Several of the groups show promise, but not really sure If one might stick out to some of you more experienced shooters.

Attachments

· The Mod Squad
7,088 Posts
300-400 looks pretty good to me I wouldn't base anything off of one group. Personally, I'd be shooting two shots. If they're touching I'd shoot a third. Then move on to the next setting. Go back and revisit the best looking groups. Thoroughly test the setting that seems like the best. Not my method. It's what one of the guy's suggested

Why do you think you need to reset your tuner?

· The Mod Squad
7,088 Posts
I re tuned it with the ammo i just had tested at Lapua. I thought it would be the right thing to do since I tuned it using different ammo prior to this.
not needed?
Well...you'd probably get different opinions and it's something I've wondered since the dawn of tuners back in the 90's. I only have one tuner and I set it several years ago and I've left it there. More recently I've become interested in rimfire BR again and I've started asking a few of the more experienced BR guys. Some pretty big names don't touch their tuners once they're happy with the setting

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...you'd probably get different opinions and it's something I've wondered since the dawn of tuners back in the 90's. I only have one tuner and I set it several years ago and I've left it there. More recently I've become interested in rimfire BR again and I've started asking a few of the more experienced BR guys. Some pretty big names don't touch their tuners once they're happy with the setting
Thank you for the info!!

· Registered
1,098 Posts
The more I think about it. Have you tried with the new ammo and you old tuner setting? If the groups are better than with what Lapua came up with then you're already close. I would start there instead of going through the whole tuning process again. If they are not then going through the entire process would make more sense.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The more I think about it. Have you tried with the new ammo and you old tuner setting? If the groups are better than with what Lapua came up with then you're already close. I would start there instead of going through the whole tuning process again. If they are not then going through the entire process would make more sense.
I haven’t tried it at the old setting, i just zeroed the tuner and started over. But the 0-100 and 3-400 gave me the best groups on my old test. And the groups in that range today were solid other than 1 shot that went stray.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Attachments

· Registered
1,176 Posts
I would confirm the 300-400 group, not because it's the smallest, but because the POI is the same as the 200-300 and 400-500 groups. Once confirmed, I would retest within the 300-400 range, but in 20 point increments, again looking for the best group that is centered between like groups.

Art

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would confirm the 300-400 group, not because it's the smallest, but because the POI is the same for as the 200-300 and 400-500 groups. Once confirmed, I would retest within the 300-400 range,but in 20 point increments, again looking for the best group that is centered between like groups.

Art
Funny you noticed that. Lol. After my second group I was feeling like my point of impact was too close to my bull so I dialed up my scope.

· Registered
67 Posts
Just got my rifle back from Lapua. Went out this am to re tune with the Centerx my lot testing suggested. Attached are my initial 10 shot groups. Wonder what your thoughts are on where you would take it after these initial groups. Several of the groups show promise, but not really sure If one might stick out to some of you more experienced shooters.
Read up on this thread. I use my spreadsheet to calculate my tuning. The best setting for me was to match the bullet body length to the quarter wavelength of the standing wave and dampening the frequency response of the barrel base on the inverse of the time it takes the bullet to exit the crown of the barrel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts