Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a HS Sharpshooter and really know very little about them. Can one of you, of the knowledge pool, tell me the things about it? It looks like a fine pistol.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
rimfireD - It is a fine gun. The Sharpshooter was introduced in 1969 in the 103 series (slant grip) guns, carried through the 104 series and showed up as the Sharpshooter-M in the 107 (military grip) guns. It was originally built as a low cost entry level target gun. High Standard used the Sport King frame and the Citation slide which had adjustable sights mounted on it and the 5 1/2 inch bull barrel that they used on the Citation and Trophy models. The only differrence between the Sharpshooter and the target guns (Citation and Trophy) was that the Sharpshooter did not have a trigger weight adjusting screw in the back of the frame and the trigger itself did not have an over-travel screw in it.

All parts are inter-changeable between all of the High Standards so a trigger from a Citation or Victor or Trophy with the over-travel screw in it could be put in the Sharpshooter if desired. The sear spring could be taken out and bent manually to achieve the desired trigger pull so the lack of an adjusting screw is not a problem.

I have put together many target guns for competitors using SharpShooters and even SportKings(had to use a different barrel on the SportKings).

There are two problems you might encounter with your gun, actually with any High Standard.
1.> jams and mis-feeds. These are caused by an improperly adjusted magazine and easily fixed. Visit my web-site http://users.adelphia.net/~jbarta click on the "other stuff" legend and you'll find instructions on how to adjust the magazines if necessary.

2.> Cracked frame. This is a bad one and comes as a result of a weak recoil spring. The factory recoil spring measures 5 1/2 pounds when fully compressed. The springs actually wear thin from use and lose their strength. Every HS that I've ever seen with a cracked frame had a spring that measeured less tha 4 3/4 pounds. I recommend replacing them recoil spring very 20,000 rounds or so with a heavy duty 6 pound spring from Wolff Spring Co. If the frame cracks it will crack through the rails on the right side of the gun with the crack starting at the right rear corner of the magazine well. This happens rarely but when it does it is a very expensive fix. I've seen mayba a dozen cracked frames over the last 30 years of messing with theses fine machines. My web-site also has instructions on how to replace the recoil spring.

Shoot standard velocity ammo only in it. A steady diet of High Velocity stuff will beat up the frame and hasten any tendency to crack the frame. If you just have to shoot high velocity ammo all the time in it you must change the recoil spring to a 7 pound spring available from Wolff Spring Co.

If you have any particular problems or questions, contact me through my web-site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim for the information. I am interested in the problems that do arise with HS, in particular my Sharpshooter. I tried to email from your web site but never got it to come up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.