Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Info on 504?

780 Views 19 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  KB22RF
Hi folks,

I've seen a couple of 504s for sale and they have me interested. I've now googled them somewhat and I can't understand why they don't get more attention....I've also done a search on this forum with little to no info showing up....

Anyone have a link or more information? Indy has a bedding procedure lower down in the forums for it and seemed to get great results.

The price seems inline with the 77/22, and they look like walnut and blued steel, are they any good for the price?

Thanks in advance,
Frank
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Well. . . Were pretty laid back here in the 504. We love our festivals, seafood and drink. Mardi Gras is a hoot. . . . oh. . . .wait. . . .you meant Remington 504's.

Never Mind.:rolleyes::D:p

· Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well. . . Were pretty laid back here in the 504. We love our festivals, seafood and drink. Mardi Gras is a hoot. . . . oh. . . .wait. . . .you meant Remington 504's.
Never Mind.:rolleyes::D:p
aaah...that sounds like south Florida....oops Margarita time :D Check back later...wife is looking at me like why are you online :eek: ...dinner vs posting on RFC it's a matter of priorities....

I think she's trying to grab my ear!...:(

Fladv.

· Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I like mine a lot. Bought it new in '04 . It's the .22 and it gives very good accuracy in it's unaltered original form.
Thanks for the response....I'm really considering one of these....I really wonder why they stopped making them :confused:

I actually once sent an e-mail to Remington trying to find out why they aren't making a bolt action rimfires any more....I did get a response something in reference to customer demand....(excluding the custom shop)....

Fladv.

· Registered
2,440 Posts
I have two(17m2 and .22) that shoots lights out. Both have been pillar bedded and all that good stuff by my smith. My 17m2 was bought new and when I first shot it I thought the world of it, but once I received it back from my gun smith and switched from Eley to Hornady it really impressed me. The .22 was not so good out of the box, but it too was turned into a very accurate rifle.

I love my 504's!:bthumb:

· Registered
34 Posts
They are beautiful. Some work well. Some need work to work well. I bought mine because of looks and "good" price. Needed more than a bit of tinkering. A new off the rack 10/22 shoots as well even now. If you are buying for looks, get the 504. If you want to shoot it or squirrel hunt with it get a CZ 452 or 455. Less money and shoot like nothing in their price range. Full disclosure I have 11-1 Remingtons to CZ's. Couple Winchesters and Savages. Ruger 77/22 and 10/22's . Remingtons are my favorite but the 504 can be a polished turd. Good luck. MK

· Registered
5,757 Posts
I have a 504 in 17M2 that I bought new in 2006. It was a good shooter out of the box. I did free float the bbl and adjust the trigger and that's all. The weight and balance for a sporter rifle is nearly perfect, and the adjustable trigger is about as nice as anything you will find in it's price range.

· Registered
6,320 Posts
I bought a 504-T LS HB .17HMR some years back.

It's well on the way to reimbusing me its purchase price because it keeps winning matches! :bthumb:

All I've done is adjust the trigger to 1-1/4 lb. :)

Burris Sig Zee rings/ Weaver 36X scope. :cool:

· Registered
3,579 Posts
Off the rack 10/22 shoots as good as the 504? Okay, gonna look somewhere else...thanks for the heads-up....:eek:

fladv.
Some of the 504s do not shoot as well as they should at the price (and some do), but a stock 10/22 shoots as good???? I can throw rocks at a target and do as well as the new 10/22s. I beat a 36X scoped 10/22 with a pea shooter the last time out;)

· Registered
34 Posts
Maybe I was just lucky with the new ruger. My fourth. I bought it two weeks ago at WallyWorld. Out of the box and replaced sights with techsights for appleseed. I sighted in at 82 feet, from a rest shot sime sized groups. My 504 with Leupold 2x7 shot same sized groups. The 504 at 50 yards was larger than a quarter. My CZ 455 with Leupold 2x7 shot one hole groups with same ammo. Just sayin'. I have other 10/22's that have mods that will make a fly nervous at 50 yards. They are all individuals, but as pretty as my 504 looks and cost (time and money) it should shoot better. I still lime Remingtons and continue to collect them (121's, 510's etc...)I won't be buy another 504. I am glad others have had better luck. I only answered the OP' s question to the best of my ability. MK out.

· Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Maybe I'm getting old...but I like these type rifles...(By the way beautiful rifle Micro!)

It sounds like primarily an issue with the stock as far as having accuracy problems? (Are there other issues like crown, barrel, chamber, etc.?)

As I've been looking at the 504s on the various auction sites, I wish they would bring these type rifles back at around this price point (in addition to CZs)....this is exactly the type of gun we talk about on RFC....walnut and blued steel....

Thumbing though this thread:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86271

it looks like he was getting incredible accuracy with a little bedding and stock work :bthumb: (The average price now for NIB looks around the $600 mark)...

Yes...my experiences with the 10/22 with out-of-the-box accuracy have not been good (but of course with upgrades it's no longer an issue)...

Although I'm considering one from the custom shop...but torn between Remington and Cooper...
Fladv.

· Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Mine in .22 LR will shoot consistent 5 rnd groups of 1/2"-5/8" at 50 yds using SK Standard Plus. It'll do better with Lapua Center X but I'm not about to pay $10.00 plus per box ! CCI Std Vel will group into the 3/4" range and the CCI Mini mags or Velocitors into slightly less than 1" to 11/4 " all at 50 yds. Not bad for high velocity ammo used for hunting purposes.
As I mentioned earlier my 504 is untouched and just as it came from the factory except for a trigger adjustment to just slightly over 2 lbs. I use it for hunting small game ...groundhogs in the summer and squirrel in the fall.
It is my son's favourite rifle for silouette matches where he does very well often besting many older and more experienced shooters while using it.
It's a great rifle and has earned a permanent place in my gun safe.

· Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Some of the 504s do not shoot as well as they should at the price (and some do), but a stock 10/22 shoots as good???? I can throw rocks at a target and do as well as the new 10/22s. I beat a 36X scoped 10/22 with a pea shooter the last time out;)
You must have been up against an unusually inaccurate 10/22 . I have a new stock 10/22 carbine that I use for shooting steel plate action matches . And while it's no tack driver in it's stock form ( they were never intended to be ) with a Williams peep sight on the back and their fire sight on the front it'll easily put 5 rnds of CCI Stn Velo into less than 1.5" at 50 yds. It won't win any bench rest matches certainly but still not bad for an inexpensive .22 semi auto with iron sights. I'm sure it would do better with a scope and different ammo but it shoots well enough as is for my purposes.

· Registered
219 Posts
Finally got mine to our little range this morning, trying to beat a incomeingstorm. With a fairly steasy rest put 5 shots that could be covered with a dime and 5 at 50 could be covered by a quarter. Scope is a Leopuld 2x7 rimfire, ammo was Rem. Sub Sonic. Hopefully Monday can try some different brands and loadings from a better set up. Am very happy with this rifle, now to get a couple more magazines and will be set for squirrels. Oh yes only shot one 50 yarder, hope it wasn't a fluke, will see.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.