Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if anyone has or knows about these rifles...

Is it worth taking a chance buying one sight unseen? I have heard they are shooters, have adjustable triggers, built in tuners, smooth actions.

Thinking about using it for the postal BR matches.

Any info would be appreciated!

Serial # is reputed to be thirty something....

-----or is it better to get one of the newer versions, say a varmint 452?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I have a Model 4 that I bought new in the box-unfired about 5 years ago- it was made in 1958. It is a fine rifle and shoots right with my 52-Winchester Target rifle. The action is very smooth. The trigger is adjustable, but to get it very light a spring change may be necessary--not a big deal--it's easily done. I think the trigger is identical to the 452. I can't vouch for how a used one will shoot, but one of these rifles in new condition will shoot very well with proper ammo--and pretty darn good with regular ammo.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a model 4 and it was also made in 1958. I bought it used for $299. I really like the rifle. It shoots great. Someone worked on the trigger and I really like it, but if you work the safety 2 or 3 times it will fire. I have been looking at an Anschutz 64 mpr but I'm not sure how much better you can get without going the total custom route and I just don't have the funds. The model 4 may not be a serious competition gun but it aint bad!!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The BRNO 4 trigger is only adjustable for trigger pull weight. Mine came with a weaker factory spring than the current 452's, but it still needed lightening for my purposes. Creep can be reduced the same way as the current 452's. Basicly the trigger is identical, except for the sear detent ball is captive and will not fly away during disassembly/reassembly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Bought one about a month ago. Paid $250 Cdn, a real bargain, looks almost like new.
Mine is made in 61. Has the factory aperture sights. Great shooter, I find the trigger is pretty good. Not as light as my Walther but crisp and very shootable. From the talk on the board, I have to think the trigger is a lot better than the current ones.
If you want to scope it, the wide dovetails are a bit of a pain to find rings.
Mine was ammo picky when I started shooting it (looked like it had not been shot for a long while), only shot CCI green stripe well, but improved to the point that any ammo shoots well at 25 yards. Still working on 50 yards, takes some practice to get good groups with an aperture at 50.
I don't really think that the action is that smooth, you have to work it with a heavy hand compared to my Walther, but then again don't have that much experience.
A real long rifle, have trouble getting it in the trunk of my Miata when in the case.
Wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I see a lot of the Bruno #1's at the shows, will pick one up when I see one for the right price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.