Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Indiana Squirrel Hunting anyone?

427 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  DRS
Hi There
Been a long time since I was in RFC. Do anyone know what the Squirrels are cutting on around Atterbury. First two days of Season and Didn't see a one. Thanks Jeff :boohoo:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Wallbass45 said:
Hi There
Been a long time since I was in RFC. Do anyone know what the Squirrels are cutting on around Atterbury. First two days of Season and Didn't see a one. Thanks Jeff
Jeff,

I've been Squirrel Hunting a few times, in the wood lot behind my home. Todate, I have yet taken a Squirrel and have seen very few. The Hickory nuts are very plentiful as are the acorns, but what is lacking are the Squirrels. The Spring of 2004 produced almost "ZERO" Mast for the Squirrels and they had nothing to eat this past Winter. This usually means that the following Squirrel Season (Like this years') will have fewer Squirrels to hunt. I am sure there are a few places where you might find some but I have a feeling those places are few and far between. They're reporting, down in Kentucky, that the Squirrel Season will be poor this season. <SORRY>

DAVID

· Premium Member
2,579 Posts
To tell you the truth; I am about ready to "Pull-the-plug" on this years Squirrel Season. :( Yesterday morning, I walked into the woods, on my property, and saw "ZERO" Squirrels. It was an Ideal morning and I should have seen several and atleast heard several "Barking". I checked under a few Hickory Trees and again found few cutting and lots of untouched Hickory nuts. I think we really had a VERY HEAVY Squirrel die off last winter because of the lack of food for them plus there was a mite that was affecting the Squirrels giving them the mange, and they simply lost all their fur. Now I am debating on wheither or not to pick up the untouched nuts later this fall and store them, placing them out for the Squirrels next Spring. I also hunt a woods about 60 miles north of where I live near Glendale, In and last year they ad more mast crop then the counties south of I-64. I went hunting up there, several days ago, and saw eight and got four. So if you're wanting to do some "Productive" Squirrel Hunting then concentrate in hunting areas north of I-64.

· Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with you all about this years Squirrel hunting,its a Bust!!!!!
I did go last monday after work and stalked a lone Grey. It was getting dark fast in the woods and finally got an open shot,But didn't cause I could not see him clearly. Got up tuesday looked out the cabin window and there was a Chipmunk about 12 feet away. Got my Buckmark slowly opend the window
and got him center mass in the chest before he could return fire. HEhe
Then it started to rain and did all day. Was coming home and was about there when a Red Fox Squirrel ran to the road stoped,stood up AND WAVED to me. It was everthing I could do not to stop and Shoot him. :Blasting_ I think the Squirrels down called and told him to do it. Thanks Jeff in Indiana

· Premium Member
2,579 Posts
Jeff,

I've not even seen any Squirrels killed on the road in front of my home! It's just like they vanished, and it may take several years before Squirrel hunting returns to normal. :(

· Registered
110 Posts
I shot two this morning they were both cutting hickory. I agree with what has been said it is a very poor year for squirrel hunting in Indiana.
My favorite squirrel woods is about to become new homes :mad: I have hunted it 2 times this year and not seen a squirrel. In years past it was a easy 5 any day .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.