Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

In homage to the Ruger MkII Govt -

576 5
Hello all, nice place you've got here

I just wanted to express my admiration and my affection for my favorite rimfire pistol ever - my Ruger MkII Govt model. It's sitting on my desk in front of me as I type this, and I can't help but admire what an awesome companion and tool it has been for me over the years.

I bought my Ruger in 1994 at The Sports Authority in Malvern PA. It was the blue model with the cheap black plastic Ruger grips. My only mods to it have been a trigger overhaul (2 lb wonder now), a Volquartson SS comp, and Ruger checkered target grips.

I've never shot competitively in a serious way, but I have won many weekend matches with this pistol. Bullseye, pins - you name it, this pistol has done it. My fondest memories though are of my best friend and I competing against one another shooting NRA .22 chickens from 35 yards offhand. We literally did this almost every weekend for years. I can still smell the air and hear the wind in the trees in the great wooded area that we called "our range". Some of the best times in my life were spent in that clearing with this pistol

Since 1994 I have shot this little guy almost EVERY weekend. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's I would shoot almost 1,000 rds a week - pin shooting, silhoutte, and plinking. I lived 2 miles away from a great private range that included a full smallbore silhoutte course. Of course, my friend and I would also drive to "our range" almost every Sunday after church. Off hand calculations tell me that this pistol has about 250,000 rounds through it. And it still shoots like a freakin' house on fire . . . on the original magazines!

I've had to replace some parts, of course. The firing pin, recoil spring, and extractor have all been replaced . . . I'm on my 3rd set of springs now. I've had to reblue the back of the grip where the swell of your palm rubs tha frame.

But I can honestly say that it shoots better now than it did when it was new. I have other .22 pistols now, but none of them give me the visceral satisfaction of making a can dance on the range the way that this pistol does. I have more accurate pistols (my IZH46 air pistol is frightening) or more expensive (I used to have a Walther GSP) - those other guns may come and go, but not my Govt.

The frame is getting a bit battered around the hammer pivot hole and the barrel is starting to get a little indented where the firing pin hits the chamber, so I can see a time in the future when I'm going to have to retire this little lady. But when the time comes she will retire to a honored place in my gun safe - to be cleaned and respectfully held - remembering all of the wonderful memories that this marvelous piece of American engineering has given me.

Thank you all for reading,

Disconnector :)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
That so cool. I bought one new around 86 or 87 liked it so much I put a 2-7X power scope on it. I was so very impressed I bought another new one 6 months later. Still have them both. All I can say is the factory test targets did not do either of them justice.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I can relate - a great tribute to a great gun! I bought a MKII 5.5" about the same time frame. I thought I shot it quite a bit - 25,000+ when I stopped counting , hell you got me beat by miles and miles! Yes , there are certain guns that you become "intimate" with - the MKII for me has been such a gun. Bought another one last year - the 10".

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very cool!! :)

I am really looking forward to picking my MKIII Government Target (Stainless) up tonight. They ordered it yesterday, and it has arrived!!

Does each one come packaged with a test target?

Thanks!

- Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.