Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had some time to kill and took a ride to camera land. Nice friendly staff and nice store. I was in the market for a scope and took a look at the Midas tac 6-24-50.
I was very impressed and bought the scope without researching prices. My fault. three days later camera land has a sale on the same scope for the shot show. Could have saved $60. The next day it is on amazon for $100 less then i paid.
Lesson learned but still hurts. No more impulse buys for me . On the flip side it is a nice scope.

·
Premium Member
37,673 Posts
Well had some time to kill and took a ride to camera land. Nice friendly staff and nice store. I was in the market for a scope and took a look at the Midas tac 6-24-50.
I was very impressed and bought the scope without researching prices. My fault. three days later camera land has a sale on the same scope for the shot show. Could have saved $60.
Some places will refund the difference for a predetermined time frame after, with proof of purchase.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
People like to dismiss smartphones but I have used one to check a price on something I've found in a store dozens of times. Sometimes it'll be cheaper elsewhere, or on sale.

I've even had instances where the online price for the store I was in was cheaper and they won't price-match their own online prices. I've gone to my car, placed the order online at the lower price for in-store pickup, then walked back in to pick it up.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
People like to dismiss smartphones but I have used one to check a price on something I've found in a store dozens of times. Sometimes it'll be cheaper elsewhere, or on sale.

I've even had instances where the online price for the store I was in was cheaper and they won't price-match their own online prices. I've gone to my car, placed the order online at the lower price for in-store pickup, then walked back in to pick it up.
My wife is good at this and that's what we do, just not in the same day.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was thinking of returning it but it was already mounted on the rifle and taking it back off and driving all the way back to the store then going thru the whole process again seemed just as painful. Lesson learned. It would have been nice if Camera land let me know that they were having a sale in another three days but i cant blame them for making a quick sale and my ignorance.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I use the phone all the time when contemplating certain purchases. I've even shown the vendor the phone and have had the price reduced (matched). Even Cabela's has done this for me.

·
Registered
952 Posts

Let's see... $1,000 device - or even $400 device - and LOOK! I save $60! Basic arithmetic...

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you.

to me, unless you aren't connected, no reason not to do some research before you buy.

If you dont know the ABP of things you want, you may lose depending on the sit. Some people are procrastinators too...where they may do the research on the spot...again...

look at it this way...it wasnt a multi thousand dollar car/house....its just a scope. but do enough of those types of buys and overall for years? it could end up a car/house. And now you can move onto something else.

good luck

·
Premium Member
9,035 Posts
When buying an expensive item (over 20 bucks :rolleyes:) I am in the habit of asking the clerk "When are you going to have this on sale?". You would be surprised how many will tell you, and then you can try to get them to give you the sale price today, works more often than not .

·
Premium Member
37,673 Posts
When buying an expensive item (over 20 bucks :rolleyes:) I am in the habit of asking the clerk "When are you going to have this on sale?". You would be surprised how many will tell you, and then you can try to get them to give you the sale price today, works more often than not .
Is that before you ask for a vet's discount JN? ;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
You could ask them about honoring the sale price and see if that gets you anything.

Beware when buying optics through amazon. I tried it with Athlon a while back and got back to back bad scopes. One was clearly a return. Yes I got my money back but it was still a PITA shipping them back, waiting for a credit only to have to repeat the process.

We all miss deals from time to time but we move on. Enjoy your new scope and don't focus on the downside. Life is too short to dwell on the past for what could have been.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
I've spent $1,000+ on a few scopes and noticed them on sale for $200 - $400 cheaper within a couple weeks. I'm not gonna lie those ones hurt a little. Life's too short to worry about stuff that's already done.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Call them and ask for the discount (though I am in Canada we are an optics dealer and this is common).
That said don't immediately blame the store...many manufacturers (such as Nikon and Leica among others) have now instituted embargo policies...a dealer can get a lot of heat if they announce a sale before it actually happens, and this can include threatening to pull their product.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts