Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had great difficulty using the original iron sights on this rifle. I cobbled up a rear sight using the base of a Marble flip up rear sight taken off a Ruger No. 1 45-70 rifle. I milled a shallow slot for a modified old style Remington 700 rear sight to fit in. I drilled a 1/8" hole thru both, peened in a brass rivet and soldered the whole together with 425 degree 5% silver solder. The Remington sight has a nicer rear plate and is windage adjustable with a screw that attached the plate to the spring tab it is o the end of. The picture shows it better than I can discribe in words. The picture shows the modified sight mounted on my rifle. Beside it are an unmodified 700 sight the way is comes from the factory, the original Savage sight and the 6S peep sight.
I whipped out an easier for me to see front sight on my mill. It has a wider blade than the factory bead sight. It doesn't look all that much wider in the picture but it is. The picture shows my sight mounted and the factory sight sitting on the barrel in front of it.
I have successfully used this sight set in small bore silhouette matches - the tiny targets, not the large 'Hunter" class ones - much to the amusement of the scoped rifle competitors. That was, until I beat a bunch of them.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Very nice job on both sights. Mossberg made an adjustable for windage rear leaf, but it was a little rinky and didn't hold very well, yours looks very substantial. I would love to own a milling machine, even one of the small hobby ones. Sounds like lots of fun with material rewards.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering that sight was made for the Remington 700 centerfire rifle it is pretty stout.
Yes, having a milling machine is a real hoot. Mine is a slightly modified Grizzley mill/drill with an extra long 32" bed. I also have a Grizzley rotary table and Grizzley dividing head for it that takes the chuck from my vintage Atlas lathe. That allows me to turn a part on the lathe and transfer the chuck with the part still mounted in it directly to the mill or vice versa. You wouldn't believe the cool gun parts I've made with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.