Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ideas for extended bolt handle...

727 16
Im thinking about either buying a PC bolt handle or welding an extension onto the factory handle. I read where some used a factory .22 mag handle, but i dont think this will be as long as i would like it to be.
Would welding and sanding an extension on the factory one hold up ya think? Any ideas...
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Forgive me....

This is NOT meant as a "flame", BUT........

IF you were a "weldor/fabricator/machinist", you would not be asking that question.

If you have the "skills & equipment" you can make ANY size/shape handle, that you want.

Your question is "moot".....

YES! It can be done, but, can YOU do it??

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"or getting an extension welded on to the factory handle." what i should have said i guess...

hmm, guess that seems like a flame, but because you say its not i wont take it as one. :rolleyes: I really cant figure out why you posted that response, it must have just been to call me out, someone claiming to be a "weldor/fabricator/machinist"... but not really.

I didnt even think about having to specify who would be doing the work on the afore mentioned part, just mentioned it being done.
All I was wondering was if any one who had any ideas on my plans could share there thoughts with me and the rest of the board.

Yes, i know it can be done, and most likely (just a guess) a welded handle would stand up to most abuse. Most likely i wont be doing the work to it myself if it involves welding ski...

If anyone has any info. on my first question, or ideas on an extended bolt handle...that'd be great.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi Remmy

Don't worry about Ski, Chicken neck must have cut him off again. :p

I have also been looking for an extended handle. I recently picked up one of the "Hammer Extensions" that slip over a revolver hammer and extend it out to either side to clear a scope. I tried it on the factory handle (non mag) but I have to put it so far out on the tip to make sure it clears the wood, that it works loose after 5 shots or so. However for those five shots it works pretty nice. I need to order a magnum handle see how that works together with the hammer extension.

I know you're really looking for a longer extension to the side, not up an down, but just making the grasping surface bigger makes a big difference.

Note: I was originally afraid that large a mass of metal would cause problems with the bolt functioning. This did not turn out to be the case. I had no malfunctions while testing. Possibly because it is really made of light alluminum instead of steal.

FWIW, I came up with this idea because I was spicifically looking for a way to raise the handle up high enough that my left hand could sweep accros the top of the reciever and trip the bolt on a rifle I have setup "Scout rifle" style.

FTR, I am not a welder either.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm not a welder/fabricator/machinist, just an old country boy, but I've gas-welded complete new bolt handles on several Mauser CF rifles with perfectly good results. If it can be done on a CF it can certainly be done on a RF. It's really not that big a deal.
Another thought is to cut off the end of your old handle, thread it and make a new female-threaded extension and screw it on. Can't recall where I saw it, but I think somebody makes threaded bolt handles.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Sav99age said:
Mag handle on a .22 LR? Will the parts trade without modification? I like that idea if they will.
Sav99age,

Check out this thread.

Regards Bill:)

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief says ., Save yer self alot of headaches.

Just order a 22 magnum : reciol spring/rod / chg handle
from Brownells . Swap the larger 22 magnum charging handle
with the one on yer 10-22 .
Dont bother tryin to buy just the handle = its not possible.
THE complete setup costs about $13.00

Worked fer me.
CD.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
BillB and CD,

Thanks for the info. Using the Mag handle on the .22LR was something I had not seen posted before (just found the site this year).

Every time I switch from shooting my .22LR to my Mag I think to myself "Hey, I like the feel of that bolt handle". Now I can have that feeling all the time. ;)

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Chief says : like it was made fer it .

Heres a standard 22 LR bolt , With std recoil rod/spring.

With a Magnum Charging handle installed . makes no
difference to the action , sept its easier to get ahold of.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I ordered two 10/22 magnum charging handle assemblies from Numrich last week along with some other items. The order arrived but the charging handles are out of stock.:( :( :(

Ordered same from Brownells $12.68 each, only 3 cents more than Numrich.:)

Regards Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.