Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so I could do this stock justice. My newest "set of clothes" for an old friend. :1luvu:
The lighting settings were changed occasionally between frames, so the tinting may appear different, but its the same rifle.

Did I mention the schnabel....? :D

...which was cut in three generally equal planes (surface area) disappearing into the "dog knot" and the belly of the stock.

Even Mrs. cowboy4 was impressed, pronouncing it the "most beautiful" of all my rifles. Quite significant, considering her usual apathy toward my "habit".

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wood actually came from a 10 inch x 8 feet x 5/8 inch board. I carefully selected three sections 33 inches long each, arranging the most highly figured pieces on the outside. I glued things together, my gunsmith did the rest. We spent the last two hours of shaping making sure this stock fits me. The finish is Tru-Oil, rubbed out with burlap.
The size of the barrel requires the fore end to have this much size to have the correct proportions associated with a schnabel tip. I hope to use this rifle to move up into AAA in smallbore silhouette.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice! Is that a 541 action?
581, this one has a Voelker trigger. It has a take-off 40-X "standard".barrel, which still pretty darn beefy. This barrel has some taper, but i'm not certain if it will make hunter class weight, no matter.
It has a somewhat better grouping history than its "twin" (a 581-S) with an Anschutz barrel. Both have pressed and pinned barrels, however I think the 581-S will receive threading.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.