Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after rushing headfirst into my first 10-22 build, I sold all the waste of money parts (Butler Creek barrel, $30 tasco scope W/ crummy rings and so on.....
Now I'm trying to do it right.
Hogue OM stock, all the Volquartsen trigger/action upgrades, Bushnell Elite 4200 3 x 9 x 40 scope, New tactical Solutions Barrel & new tactical Solutions scope base (Both on order)
So I think I'm headed in the right direction. My problem/question is my old set-up
sucked. For some reason I ran out of "up" on my scope and never did get it sighted in before I gave up and started over with better parts.

How do I make sure everything is perfect when I finally put this all together in the next week or two? Is there a certain order of installing the barrel and other parts? What do I need to look out for or be aware of? Any tricks or things too look out for? Will it be easy or am I just thinking too hard?

Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling thoughts....
By the way, I'm kinda new....Is this the right place to post these questions?

Thanks sooooooooooooo much for all your help.

Mike

· Registered
5,438 Posts
I think your going at it too hard. When you get all your new upgrades, put it all together and go shoot it. If your still having problems then we can start to figure things out.

What kind of BC barrel did you have and what stock were you using?

· Registered
436 Posts
pdxmikey said:
For some reason I ran out of "up" on my scope and never did get it sighted in before I gave up and started over with better parts.
Maybe the top of your receiver isn't flat? Not uncommon. This will cause problems with ANY scope. File/sand it flat if that is the case.

pdxmikey said:
How do I make sure everything is perfect when I finally put this all together in the next week or two? Is there a certain order of installing the barrel and other parts?
Na, just bolt everything together. You won't be shooting Olympics with it, hand tighten everything and double check the fit of the barrel/action to stock; remember that the 10/22 isn't exactly a precision tool :)

pdxmikey said:
Will it be easy or am I just thinking too hard?
You're thinking too hard.

· Registered
522 Posts
Good point about the top of the receiver may have a problem to start with if its not flat. Check that in the area where you mount the rail. Now I like to get mine together with everything on her, then just go shoot about 50-100 rounds through her, not even moving the scope yet; just shoot her letting everything get comfy.

Then with where she hits on or at the target even though I have not even moved the scope yet I just want to see where it shoots at and how well. Lets say I am shooting way low from where I aim, if its way off I like to shim the scope to get this closer, really I like to get this close as I can before I even start to move the scope. I use thin strips of stainless or aluminum shim stock for this. I like the scope as close to center as possible, within reason anyway. Then work out the last couple inches with the scope to get point of impact, spot on. JMHO, certainly not something you have to do, I just perfer too...

Sure some of you guys think this and other things may be going to extreme on these for what most of us do with them, after all our life probably doesn't count on this rifle shooting spot on, perfect LOL. If some of you guys are like me, I just enjoy the challenge of doing this to the extreme and look forward to the learning curve we all encounter doing so, not to mention I look forward to asking for the information and what is given from the guru's that reside here on these pages, we do have indeed the best here with more than enough knowledge and seem to be very willing to share and help out those of us that don't know and look forward too. I know I can say I sure hope everyone here knows how much I appreciate all the help and info posted on this site for the learning and enjoyment of the sport we all love... Keeping my simple brain on the learning curve and in the mode of learning in general, I hope helps me stay sharper too, even if its a lot of fun.

Its Friday guys, lets all have a great and safe weekend. Laterz

· Registered
719 Posts
homersapien said:
Maybe the top of your receiver isn't flat? Not uncommon. This will cause problems with ANY scope. File/sand it flat if that is the case.
I would think real hard before I started filing on the top of a 10/22 receiver. First of all I can assure you they are not flat! The are built with a raidus(sp) on the top and the material is soft and not very thick. You can ruin a receiver real quick like that.

When you get your parts put it together and shoot it. If it doesn't shoot good only change one thing at a time and research what you are doing before making the first change.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.