Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI folks, as there are so many cool people in the CZ section ...hehe ( and all of rimfire of course ) i was in need of some advice on scope selection....
My supposed rifle will be an Anschutz 64MPR...or CZ Varmint 453 and need a scope for benchrest comp....
I have reasonable eyesight ( when sober ) and shoot out to 90 yards and as low as 20 yards...
I am relatively new to Bench , and it seems everyone uses
36 X scopes... do i need that ?
Also , would like to suss out some cheaper options than say a leupold or Nightforce.... if i update the scope i get first , it can go on my .222 Fox BRNO..
Thanks people....
Anthony

·
Premium Member
58,674 Posts
Plus one for the Weaver and I believe Sightron makes a 36x also, I have shot several rifles with the Weaver 36x on them and know them to be very good scopes.

Gerald

Double checked Sightron does make a 24x and 36x !

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I would take a look at the Weaver T-36
check down in the classifieds you might be able to score a deal

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have two Weavers and I like them both a lot....

one thing you might want to consider though. The 36 power scopes everyone is suggesting are fixed power scopes. If you are shooting at very short range too, as you indicate in your post, you might want to consider sacrificing a little power by dropping down to a 24X variable. A 36X is great as a dedicated benchrest gun where you shoot at the same distance all the time, but it might be too much for 20 yard shooting. Perhaps a Weaver V series, 6-24 might better suit your purposes.

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
I tried with a Weaver 4-16X, then a Leupold 6.5-20X, and now I have a Weaver T36. There's something reassuring about being able to aim in "1/4 bullet-diameter" increments.

With that reassurance comes the realization that your heart is beating too--

·
Registered
665 Posts
well scotty that makes feel a little better as I thought that 36x they were suggesting was variable. The match's I will be shooting are 25 and 50 sporter. what yardages are you guys and gals shooting with a fixed 36x scope?

·
Registered
25 Posts
CZ Scope Choice

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 2.5-7X. It has very crisp optics, was not too expensive (ebay for $168 - but I think you can do better now). I shoot a 452 Varmint, .22 Mag., with a Brooks trigger kit. I have shot a group at 50 yds. that you can cover with a dime using Rem. Premium, 30 gr. My dad, who was a phenomenal shot (shot professional skeet for years) always taught me to use the lowest power scope you can get away with, just to keep the field of view as wide as possible. With a rimfire, your shots will never be too far (a .22 has maybe an effective range of 125 yards - and that's stretching it). A 7x is about all you'll need. A decent 3-9x scope is all you'll want unless you have serious eye problems. My eyes aren't that great, but CZ's are such great rifles, they make up for a lot of our lack of ability. Check it out.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well I got my 452 today and mounted the Leupold 6-18 power and test run with some cci green tag. I shot one group that I could cover with a dime at 50. Kind of hard with the stock trigger. I have no idea what poundage its on. But I will say that I had it up on about 16x. I don't beleive I would want a scope with any less power. pretty sweet setup but it should be for what I spent

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool so far.. keep the advice coming please..

Thanks to all replies, looks like the Weaver will get the nod i beleive... :) I will check out the variable ones too .. as the benchrest shooting is pin point stuff, would 36 x fixed be an issue @ 20yards.. and why ? Does it paralax or something ? I have viewed thru a Leupold 36 Target scope at 20 yards and it looked very clear and precise... the x looked large in the field of view... and the target dot could be placed right on it ...
Looked quite good..... thanks again , Anthony

·
Premium Member
58,674 Posts
I believe the T36 adjusts down to either 7 or 10 yards, 20 yards should be no problem, someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Gerald

·
Registered
22,250 Posts
I have the Weaver 36X and normally shoot at 50yds but the Weaver is a AO and can go down to lower yardage with no problem. I also have a Sightron 24X and do prefer the 36X for BR shooting. Wish I had gotten the Sightron 36X.
Have tried to have the Sightron 24X bumped up but can't find anyone that does this on the Sightron.

For BR shooting the only time I would want less than 36X would be the Sporter and then you have a 6.5 Power limitation and the weight also then becomes a factor. For Sporters, I have both the Weaver and Leupold 2X7X28.
I have the Weaver at about 11oz mounted on the CZ Sportster/American and the Leupold at about 8oz on a Sako Custom with a Lilja Barrel and Stith Stock.
I had a Burris 6X HBR but could not see the Super Fine Crosshairs and sold on RFC.

That is just my opinion and I do not shoot competitively.

Richard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.