Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a NIB 2001 dated 597 today for $100 OTD. It has the old ejector and plastic mag. I read all the old 597 threads last night and went over it thoroughly when I got it home. I loosened the rail set screws to finger tight and dry lubed the rails and bolt rail grooves. I plan to wring it out tomorrow at the range and may give Remington a call if it's a jamaholic to get the new style ejector and metal mag. It doesn't look like the trigger is all that complicated, so I may try lightening the trigger sear spring too.

·
Registered
645 Posts
congrats ... dont bother with the sear spring, if you're able to swing it, get the Jarvis hammer. That'll get the pull to about 2 ... 2-1/2 lbs.
With a bit of careful stoning you can bring it down to around 1-1/4 lbs.

Jarvis

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine has had a couple hundred through it since I purchased it a few weeks ago (came with metal mag/bent ejector).

Only one problem thus far: one failure to feed. I've ran everything from target to high velocity to several hyper velocity, including the Vipers, Yellow Jackets and 30gr Augilas, it fires them all without a hiccup.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the new 597 to the range today. I shot 250 rounds of Winchester Value Pack copper plated bullets without any problems. Cases were being ejected 10 to 15 feet to the right. I switched to Aguila Standard Velocity and the lube on the bullet started sticking to the front of the magazine and causing misfeeds and no feeds. I went back to copper plated bullets and again it functioned great. I shot with open sights and was getting good groups for me at 25 yards and hitting a 100 yard gong most of the time. I will eventually scope the 597 once I get it worn in somemore. Maybe a new hammer too?? :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.