Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just placed my order with MidwayUSA. I'm finally going to upgrade the low round count 10/22 that I took to Appleseed. It's an older blued 20" with a Clark Custom trigger job. Not the drop in, I sent the trigger group in and had them do the work. What I'm looking to build is the ultimate general purpose 22. Something I will enjoy in the field. Something that I can still take to the next Appleseed event which is why it needs sling swivels. Something that will hold its own on the bench. And finally something that will look good.

Here's what I've ordered for her.
I'll probably mount a Nikko Stirling 3.5-10x42 scope on her.

She'll be sharing a Harris 9-13 S bipod (when needed) and a Quick Cuff sniper sling with my other rifles.

I don't think I've forgotten anything. Anyway I have a good feeling about my first completely tricked out 10/22 project. Comments? Ideas?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm not familiat with a Nikko scope, have you considered a Mueller APV? It has a wider range of magnification and is AO.
To be honest I hadn't heard of the Mueller. I'll look into them. How clear and bright are they? Im new to scoping 22s. Is A/O the same as side focus or adjustable parallax? The 3.5-10 focuses down to about 10 yards on low power and 15 yards or so on high power.

Nikko and their Nighteater line are pretty new to the US. They were supposedly developed for night kangaroo hunting fifty some years ago. I have this same scope on my 30-06 and the 4-14x44 version on my 300wm and a 6-24x56 illuminated on my varmint rifle. I'd rate them as maybe a tad clearer and brighter than a Nikon Buckmark for a lot less money.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more question. I usually just use Remington green box 36gr Golden Bullets. I'm assuming that this new build deserves better. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Still another question. With the Fajen thumb hole sporter should I buy medium or high rings? This style. I mean as far as cheek weld and head position. The scope is going on a Volquartsen 1-Piece barrel mount Weaver-style base. I'm planning on Burris Zee rings and high are .450 and medium are .255. The medium will be a tight squeeze for the scope.
Photo courtesy gunaccessories.com

Also could someone please explain AO. Is it like parallax adjustment?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
Steve

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang this thread is quiet. I bathed and brushed my teeth and everything. ;)

Anyway just an update. I'm going to try a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6-24x50 scope with AO. The reviews are excellent and if I don't like it I can always swap in the Nighteater 3-10x42 side focus that I have. It's just hard to beat $110. I thought about the beautiful Nighteater 4-16x44. It's awesome but I'm not putting a $180 scope on here right now.

Parts should start arriving on Monday, with the stock and barrel arriving on Wednesday and the scope sometime between Wednesday and Friday

From all I'm reading it looks like adjustable parallax is called 'adjustable objective' (AO) when the adjustment ring is on the front of the scope, and 'side focus' when placed in a more convenient side turret. It appears to be all the same thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have almost the exact set up you're getting. Only had the VQ cf barrel a few weeks and have not shot it as much as I would like. I had a Clerke .920 fluted SS on it before and did not like the weight. (Not nearly as accurate as the VQ).
The medium height rings wrok perfectly for me, but might not for someone else. We are all a little different.
Yes, AO is for paralax adjustment.
When it comes to optics I am VERY firmly convinced that you get what you pay for. The VQ barrel is capable of very fine accuracy and feel the gun deserves the best optics (and trigger) you can afford. I went with a 3.5 -10 AO Leupold vari-x III (when I bought the Clerke) as this gun will be used to hunt with as much or more than poke holes in paper. If I were only shooting paper I would opt for more power.
As for the Fajen stock, well......it's now a Raptor. The Fajen was always a little sloppy in the way it fit the action. The gun seemed clubby and did not handle the way I wanted, especially with the VQ barrel.
I simply love the Raptor. For off hand shooting it handles better than any stock I've tried.
Good luck and good shooting!

-Mike-

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mike. I considered the Raptor with a 16" VQ CF barrel because it would have not only looked great but handled great. But I really need sling swivels and although it could probably be done with the Raptor it just wouldn't have looked right. That's why I went with the longer Fajen Sporter and the 18.5" CF barrel. Although I'm almost regretting my color choice. I really-really prefer brown stained woods over gray but the gray might have looked even better with the silver and black CF barrel.

I'm in the process of selecting and buying a 8-24x50 Nikon Monarch for my long range paper puncher, a Tikka T3 Super Varmint in .223, and just can't afford two them. If I'm not happy with the Simmons then I'll just use the Nikko 3.5-10 while I save for a Nikko Nighteater 4-16x44. Their 6-24x56 sucks hugely, but I'd call their 4-16x44 as good or better than a $200 Nikon Buckmaster.

I agree about the trigger as well. I sent mine to Clark Custom for a 2lb in-house trigger job rather than just swap in a parts kit. This 10/22 was one that I'd originally prepped to take to an Appleseed event. Mostly just a synthetic stock, trigger job and Tech-Sights. This is just the next step. One that I can afford to shoot all day.:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Scholling,

I too need sling swivels on my Raptor and will be installing them with in the next few days. I've seen several pictures of Raptors with swivels (and bipods) that don't look at all bad, at least to me.

Got to shoot some more today and have to say that the more I shoot the VQ carbon fiber (18 1/2" with comp) barrel the more it impresses me. Accuracy is far beyond anything I've seen before---at least when the factory trigger doesn't bite me in the @$$. I managed a 10 shot offhand group that measured app. 5/8 x 3/4 at 25 yards. Seven of those went into less than 3/8"!! (Repeatable? Not today!)
With the three that went out of the group I knew the instant the trigger broke that they were out. Gotta get me a Skeeter........(probably a bolt and bedding kit as well).

One thing that I have noticed is that with the comp on the barrel that it is quite a bit louder than any 22 rifle I have ever shot. I may well wind up removeing the comp.

The Nikon Monarch is a great scope!. I had (I say 'had' only because some a$$bite stole it:mad: :mad: :mad: ) a 6.5-20 on my Remington VSSF 220 Swift.
The clarity and resolution was simply superb. One of my friends has a similar Leupy on his varmint rig and found himself wishing he had the Nikon.

-Mike-

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike,
Got to shoot some more today and have to say that the more I shoot the VQ carbon fiber (18 1/2" with comp) barrel the more it impresses me. Accuracy is far beyond anything I've seen before---at least when the factory trigger doesn't bite me in the @$$. I managed a 10 shot offhand group that measured app. 5/8 x 3/4 at 25 yards. Seven of those went into less than 3/8"!!
With the three that went out of the group I knew the instant the trigger broke that they were out. Gotta get me a Skeeter........(probably a bolt and bedding kit as well).
Thats some good shooting. I can recommend the Clark Custom trigger job. I had it back in my hands in 2 weeks. I've ordered the VQ bedding kit myself. It looks easy.

One thing that I have noticed is that with the comp on the barrel that it is quite a bit louder than any 22 rifle I have ever shot. I may well wind up removeing the comp.
I was afraid it would be loud but I wanted the extra length. I'll be shooting next to lots of 308s so I probably won't even notice. I did call VQ and they assured me that the comp doesn't kick up any dust when shooting prone. That's important to me because I plan on attending another Appleseed. I'll probably have the coolest 22 there lol. I've even splurged for a Quick Cuff sniper sling.

The Nikon Monarch is a great scope!.
I'm really agonizing over the scope. I'm pretty sure I want a Nikon Monarch and 8-24x50 for my 223. But the reticle choice is going to give me fits. The target dot is too single purpose for my taste. The Nikoplex or duplex or whatever they call it is nice. A good compromise. But the gadget guy in me craves the BDC reticle. I just worry that it's too busy and too thick for target work. I'll probably call Nikon tomorrow.

So tell me... what ammo does your barrel like best?

Thanks again for the advice!
Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
What ammo does my barrel like best? Jury's still out. I have not been able to try many brands/types yet. So far Federal Gold match shows great promise but only scored one box of it. Regular CCI mini-mags seem to shoot surpriseingly well.
Overall I'm hesitant to really make a call yet. Range time and ammo types have been to limited and the weather anything but good. Time will tell.

I know what you mean about the Nikon reticle choices, they suck. What I had was the Nikoplex. I do not think I would like the BDC. Not precise enough for small targets at long range?

I've been looking to put a high powered scope on my heavy barreled AR15 varmint rig and have pretty well decided to go with either a Burris Signature Select 6-24 Balistic Mil Dot or their Black Diamond 6-24 Balistic Mil Dot. They are a bit on the pricey side (esp. the Black Daimond) but the optics are great (again, esp. the Black diamond)! And the Balistic Mil Dot offers great utility for my varmint hunting needs (rock chucks, ground squirrels, etc. at long range).
Now if I can only sell my better half on my need for a new scope.......

-Mike-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.