Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
All the one's that I have seen were $299....and I also held onto a Engraved Henry GoldenBoy today. It was a little over $1,000 and I am sure any Henry fan would be drooling all over it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
H001t

Let us know how you like it when you get it. I haven't seen one yet but I'm getting that old feeling. You know, the one you get just before you buy another gun even though you know you really don't need another one. Seems to be a lot of that going around among Henry owners.

Floyd

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I handled one last weekend and really fell in love. The only thing that I didn't like was the creepy trigger, but that is an inexpensive fix. I think it was $279 or $289 at Sportsman's Warehouse. I need to sell something in the safe to make room first. I have rifles stacked upside down and no more will fit.

No, I can't get a new safe. The deal I have with my wife is that I can have whatever I can fit in my current safe and she will never question, but if I run out of room, that's my problem to deal with. :D

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I was also wondering about the receiver finish also. I couldn't tell if it was a different blue, paint, or epoxy like the Ruger grey finish on their KM77VT rifles.

I'm curious to know if it will hold up as well/long as the finish on a Marlin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
vepr762 said:
I was also wondering about the receiver finish also. I couldn't tell if it was a different blue, paint, or epoxy like the Ruger grey finish on their KM77VT rifles.

I'm curious to know if it will hold up as well/long as the finish on a Marlin.
VEPR,

The spray paint was very apparant to me since just two days before I had spray painted my VEPR .308 bolt with satin finish. A couple years ago, I made the mistake of using Gun Scrubber solvent to clean the VEPR the first couple times and the finish on the bolt came off a little. Thank god that was the only part I had to paint. Just got tired of seeing the silver spots.

It worked great too. Matches the factory paint job. I will probably get away with spray paint since there are only a few contact points on the bolt.

But this experience leads me to thiink the Henry rifle will act in the same manner when cleaning with solvents. JUST USE BREAKFREE or CLP guys!

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Sorry for the OT, but FURocious and I have a bond

Hey Furocious,

As a fellow VEPR owner, VEPR II, I can sympathize with the cleaning solvent issue. I did a little damage to the bottom of the muzzle brake the first time I used Shooters Choice. Since that day I have used M PRO-7, the original stronger version of Hoppe's Elite, to clean the rifle.

As another off topic aside, I just picked up the new ventilated fore-end furniture from Rob Arms. Under $100 with shipping and it comes with sling swivel AND quick detach ring mounted on the SIDE. :Blasting_ :Blasting_ :Blasting_ :Blasting_ :Blasting_

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked up the H001T today. Average, decent walnut like you see on the H001, not fancy looking like the one on the website. Octagon barrel, really super nice polished blue job with the Henry Repeating Arms and 22LR punch set done in gold. Metal sights are Williams I think, dovetailed front with fine gold bead, semi-buckhorn rear, very nice. Metal forearm barrel band. The forend was moving, I tightened down the screw in the barrel band about 1/8 turn, forearm is solid enough now (I don't like the way the part of the forend that abuts the receiver is not grooved like the winchester but just sits flush). Standard painted receiver like the H001. The action is butter smooth. The trigger is good and breaks really light compared to Winchester or Marlin. No external safety. Fairly straight stock, not alot of drop like the Golden Boy. Overall a darn nice gun for $298. If the Henry, Marlin 39, Winchester 9422 and Browning BL-22 were side by side and somebody said I could have any one I wanted, I would take the Winchester. But hey, the remaining ones are over $500. This H001T is a nice gun at it's pricepoint.

QUESTION - The bottom doesn't drop out when you open the lever like the Winchester, it is like the Marlin, but how do you get the bolt out to clean the receiver? The manual says it doesn't come apart?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
beachbreak,

It is good to hear about your new rifle.

If you want to take it apart, then look at the diagram in the owner's manual.

The buttstock comes off first. The four receiver screws come out next. The cover slides back, and up. The breechbolt may come out with the cover, or stay on top of the receiver. The locking block sits right underneath the breechbolt, and its tiny spring is right below it. That tiny spring is extremely easy to loose. Without it, the rifle won't lock up, and you could loose some teeth. If the spring is missing, then the lever will droop, too. The retaining pins (not really roll pins) may just slide out, or come out with only finger pressure. You will see the Henry name cast into the receiver, too.

Disassembly & re-assembly is not that hard, but all the small parts that could get lost make frequent teardowns a bit tricky. I clean mine while it is still together.

I am not certain what you mean about the forearm recess, or groove, of the Henry versus the Winchester. My Henry's forearm DOES fit into its receiver.

BigLoop22

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks BigLoop22. You are correct, the forearm does fit into the receiver. It's just that the forearm at the receiver can be moved up and down it's like it is not locked into the receiver there. No biggie. I gotta say, this is the smoothest lever action I have ever felt. The lever also clicks in real positively when closed, sometimes on a Winchester, the gun doesn't fire because the lever is not quite closed all the way. This one clicks in nicely. I will pass on breaking the gun down for cleaning. I'll probably just spray it to clean it. The manual says to use a select few cleaners to ensure the finish on the receiver isn't removed. To the range next weekend!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.