Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First day of pennsylvania rifle season and i had my doe shot at 7:30 or so, and back at the house by 10:00. It was an average size doe that looks healthy. It was a single shot to the neck at about 100 yds with a 30-06. The doe never knew what hit her. now i can hunt for my second doe, or get a buck, or if a friend needs help i dont have to hurry because i got one deer.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
An some good eating too!

Thats always a Plus. :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Congrats,

Any pics?

What bullets are you using in 06 do you use?

Dean_311

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know if i can get any pics, i dont have a camera, but maybe i will get one of those disposable ones. I was using remington ammo that was 150 grains, i dont remember any more details of the ammo than that, but i could look it up. I also had to pass up what appeared to be a nice 4 point(total) because here in P.A. they had passed a point restriction that a deer has to have at least 3 points on one side or 2 points and any kind of brow tine to be legal. And when i was looking through my scope i couldnt tell for sure the amount of points it was or see a brow tine. That rule really makes you need good optics to see a deer at over a 100 yds looking for brow tines.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I wish MN would except a law like that. Does fore everyone and buck tags are lotterys, and then make it 6 points and above.

That would make the average rack size go up a little.
I shoot 150 grain round nose .270 with a Remington Auto. Neck shoot and they just drop.

Dean_311

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea it is corelok ammo. i do love the neck shooting. no reason not to, any self respecting small game hunter can hit a deer neck. I dont mind the deer point thing to much, i wish they would alter it a little though. i would like to see it 4 point or 6 point, and dont do anything with the brow tine is my opinion. anyway you look at it, it will boost the average rack size. the only problem i see is that there will be alot deer that are protected, that are gonna have to eat, and that will raise the population, if hunters are to have the same amount of deer to hunt that are legal. They want hunters to shoot alot of the doe off.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Deer are really getting pretty populated around here.

I remeber when I started hunting there werent any does permits, except youth (me) and automatics. Which were givin to diabled and bow hunters.

This year, they gave away to everyone in my zone, and almost everyone had the chance to buy a intensive harvest permit. I can buy 3 or 4 intensive harvest for my bow.

I have a friend and his family bow hunts and rifle hunts. They said the can legally put 30 deer in the freezer and not use all the tags. They dont of course.

Dean_311

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.