Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I was cleaning my rifles yesterday when I got to thinking that I had a pecuilar attraction: To RIFLES, I love firearms but rifles do it for me, I don't know but I love rifles like someone would love a pet or something. Heres what got me, what do l love about them, the beautiful wood the smooth lines the wonderful feeling shouldering it and feeling it cradle my head? I don't really know, to me it seems that I was born with this attraction, some people love art and collect and study it ad nausium, I do it with rifles. Another strange fact is that a rifle if you look at it through a liberal eye is a piece of wood and metal designed for killing! I am attached to something that is designed to kill. I question myself, my psycalogical question is, am I deranged am I sick? What is that makes me and so many others attracted to the sport, especially ( in my case at least), the firearms!
I am Sorry to do this as I know this always unsettles every body.
OIS

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
You're preaching to the choir brother. It used to worry my mother to no end because I spent so much time polishing my beloved Marlin mod 60 as a teenager. The passion is not to be explained, but rather cherished.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
welllllllllllll

ois i know what u mean i feel the same way about my wife and shes the meanest woman in ky, ain't a mans feelings strange.
pd my bro in law has a sword he took off a officer in ww2 , he was mc arthurs body guard. i have handled that and it feels deadly makes the ones for sale now feel like tin. a antique was over and i mentioned it and he wanted to see it so my bro in law showed it to him and he looked at it a long time , left and came back a week later all excited said that sword was real old and belonged to some family in japan and was worth a lot. my bro in law just smile and said its worth noting unless i sell it and i won't. it still has the blood of the previous owner on it.
david

·
36,633 Posts
Brothers of a kind

Have you ever gotten up in the middle of the night just to take out a rifle, new to you, just to look at it? Just to make sure that it really is yours and to marvel at it's fine wood or machineing. Am I the only person that sees true art in a finely machined piece of steel?

One of my two best friends in the world died a coulpe months ago at 54. He was a manager on the space shuttle and built his own rifles, beautiful stuff. Once him and I were rebuilding a German steering box from the early fifties of mine. I noticed him sitting at his bench with a special gear from the box in his hand. I had just degreased it and it just glowed it's shiny silver glow. He was turning it over in his hand and I immediately knew what was going on. "It's beautiful isn't it R.T.?" I asked. He looked up with a smile on his face that I understood. "You know, with all our computers and CNC stuff that we use to build that bird (the shuttle) we still cannot do better than this. This was made 50 years ago by some little German man in a dark corner of a factory and he made these one at a time. He was an artist" R.T. responded. The Finnsh gentleman that made the bolt in my L46 Sako in 1952 was an artist. I love the way the wood joins the metal on that rifle. No where, No where on my Sako can you slip a single pice of paper between metal an wood 53 years later. Amazing.

You are not alone Old Iron Sights. You are amoung a number of your brothers. We understand.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I do like a nice rifle myself. However the 1911A1 45's are my thing. I could hold one 24 hours a day a not get tired of it, comforting to have my hand on. One of the first handguns I ever shot was a WWII Remington Rand 45 guess I took to it a little, when my uncle got rid of it I was out of state and broke or it would be the one by my bedside now. Wife doesn't understand that or I'd have one by my side all the time.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
For me it's the

combination of the wood and metal. The beautiful walnut grain just looks better to me on a rifle stock than it ever could on any old piece of furniture. More than anything though is the old-world craftmanship that went into some of the older receivers...they just reek of quality. They will never be made like that again and that may be the biggest attraction for me. I know that when they're gone, they can never be replaced. Yes, I am one of you. Rare it is if a day goes by without me handling at least one of these fine old pieces.

azimuth :cool:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Now ya got me to thinkin'.

Never really thought about it.

But now I realize that of the 50 some-odd guns I have,only 5 are handguns,5 or 6 are shotguns and the other 40-some-odd are rifles.

Looks like I need to concentrate more on the handguns and scatter guns,huh?

:D :D

BW

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amen, yes i get up at night to look at my rifles in the soft glow of a small shaded incandesant in the cabnet as the rifles give off that magical sheen ( all wood) after hand polishing every one. I have a connection with them, almost like they are my babies that never grow up, I had kids and love them to death, my rifles come third after my wife ( my kids are part of me so thats why they get first and my wife feels the same way but we been married 25 years, and loved every minute of em) It's a weird connection but I got it and aint afraid to show it.
Thanks for sharin' and understandin'
OIS

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The Rifle Possesses Preternatural Powers

Rifles are no ordinary guns. They are long, mostly, unlike most hand guns that are concealable, the rifle is not meant to be concealed -- except in special sniping duty -- and they extend the power of any ammo multifold, unlike the hand gun in which the ammo is under-treated/under-powered.

Besides, a hand gun cannot hit anything much beyond 50-yards, or thereabout, under ordinary circumstances. A rifle, even the lowly .22 LR, can hit something waaaaay out there, especially with good glass on, and in skilled hands with great precision as well.

It is affordable (therefore accessible to all, not just the elites -- therefore it is democratic) and wholesome, as one has to virtually hug it (like a lover, or a pet) in order to appreciate it. ;)

A rifle, particularly a rimfire, is an impressive demonstration of great power (through precision/accuracy) in a very small/slim, lightweight package. Rimfire rifles are generally lighter in weight than air rifles but have far greater potency and reach and can be quiet, too. Little fuss; great fun.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I feel the same way about guns in general. Always have. I've wondered if others had this affliction.
I think knowledge about a particular item tends to make it more "attractive". Take motorheads for instance. That can drool over an souped up engine,where the average person doesn't because they understand what Pop up pistons etc are and how they work. It's the same w/guns I think.
I've had some experience in woodworking, machining, and steel fabrication, not to mention countless hours of study on the general function of how (different) firearms work. Understanding what it took to make the gun and how it works adds to the appeal I think. Or maybe I'm just nuts.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Finally, I don't feel alone in this world. :) I really do cherish my firearms, I can go on vacation for a week and actually start missing them.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I feel the same and like pistols and old hunting decoys just as much but a word to the wise.

DON'T EVER TELL A WOMAN ABOUT THIS THREAD!

Never talk about it either to anyone. They will think you are absolutely nuts.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I admire anything made of high quality materials and careful craftsmanship. Things such as handmade knives, beautiful custom firearms, antique furniture, expensive Swiss/German made watches, fine optical equipment, even handmade longbows and arrows. They have a class, beauty and finesse of humanity that no object churned out by computer operated machinery can manage to duplicate. Think of an incredible cased 4 gauge set of serial number matched Purdy or H&H shotguns, stocked with the finest walnut, an incredible hand rubbed finish of many many layers of oil, hand cut 28 line per inch checkering done flawlessly by a person who has spent their entire life perfecting their craft, perfectly fitted metal parts, flawlessly filed and polished........... If you just want a gun to go kill stuff with or blast a hole in some cans, any firearm will do, but an admirer of the skilled hand always desires more. Same desire with pocketknives for instance. I could go to a department store and buy any old cheaply made knife that would in all probability cut whatever I need cut just fine and last a long time. BUT, when I get to the cutlery shop, what is it that catches my eye and siphons away my money? I go straight to the Schatt & Morgans limiteds from Queen Cutlery with all of the hand finished and polished parts, high grade steels, real bone and stag handles with old timey jigging patterns, etc.

Now, I'm NOT gonna get up in the middle of the night and polish and fondle any of my knives or firearms! :eek:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I Know rd thats why it's on the forum and not the ny times, I appreciate you guy's being honest in a mushy unspoken aspect of shooting. Thank you very much for kind words and your confessions :t, helps me know I aint insane :D
Thanks again guys, whatever jumps your gun(pun intended) Great, so be it.Last but not least don't be ashamed!!
OIS

·
Registered
644 Posts
Crete said:
Besides, a hand gun cannot hit anything much beyond 50-yards, or thereabout, under ordinary circumstances. A rifle, even the lowly .22 LR, can hit something waaaaay out there, especially with good glass on, and in skilled hands with great precision as well.

QUOTE]

I know quit a few handgunners who you wouldn't want to be in sight of at 200yds. Believe the army actually did penetration testing with 45 autos at 200yds and you would not want to have one of those lobbed out at you. Which makes me want to try the 200 yds plate next time I'm out with my 45. got to be a lot of holdover to connect at 200yds with a 45. Also Ross Seigfried/sp? World Champion combat shooter in the 70's used to check his shooting and the sights on his 45 auto with a 12 inch steel plate at 100yds daily if I remember correctly. He didn't miss it either standing up 2 handed no rest. And he would do it fast. I think he said he'd draw, sight, squeeze, bang and clang. I can hit a 12inch plate with my model 41 22lr at 200yds. Usually about 8 out of 10. Figure there are probably several squirrel and rabbit hunters using 22 pistols you wouldn't be safe from at 200yds plus on here to. I cheat though I use a reddot sight and good rest when I'm doing that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.