Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

I Have Seen The Light !!!!

494 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  LtRiker
Well, I have finally seen the light regarding fun shooting.....22LR. I have always been a big bore pistol and rifle fan, telling myself that there was no need to own any little 22's. When I started accumulating children, two sons and a daughter, I had reason to get a couple for their introduction to shooting. That started me down a new path.....I went from one hand-me-down S&W 22LR to 4 handguns and 3 rifles in 22LR. My newest addition was a Remington 572 Fieldmaster. I had the first opportunity to shoot it last weekend. What a "Cool" little rifle! I had a blast and only cost me about $2 for the ammo shot. Hmmm....we're on to something here. Lots of Fun, good practice for trigger control, breathing, aligning sights, and very cheap....I may be shooting a lot not 22LR and less 45acp, 45 Colt, 45-70, etc (yes, I have something about 45 cal).

Anyhow, for you 22LR veterans, I am with you now. For the newbies, step up and embrace 22LR..you can save money (but not time) reloading, but rimfire will do both and help you with the shooting basics that can transfer to any firearm or caliber.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
In the past, I have left the light and followed the path of ever increasing calibers. But I have been born again into the light of the sacred .22LR. For the first time ever I'm customizing a 10/22. But I have commited sacrilege, in selling a pistol to pay for the parts. But when I'm done the rifle will pay homage to the magificent .22, and all will be forgiven. :snipersmi

· Registered
89 Posts
You know, some folks don't understand how a person can buy a $150 rifle and put $500 in stock, barrel, and scope into it just to shoot paper with 2 cent bullets.

I don't see how a person can buy a $550 rifle, put a $50 scope on it and shoot paper with $1 bullets.

You have indeed seen the light. :D

· Registered
2,923 Posts
"There are none so blind as those who will not see".

Kinda like an epiphany, aint it????????:D

· Registered
1,764 Posts
Mongo said:
In the past, I have left the light and followed the path of ever increasing calibers. But I have been born again into the light of the sacred .22LR. For the first time ever I'm customizing a 10/22. But I have commited sacrilege, in selling a pistol to pay for the parts. But when I'm done the rifle will pay homage to the magificent .22, and all will be forgiven. :snipersmi
My son it is not quite that simple. You must first say 250 "Hail John Brownings" and mail me $50. THEN all will be forgiven.

· Registered
260 Posts
I had to get a new GM barrel on my Wally special to appreciate the 10/22. I also got a Win 72 with a peep from an uncle that is great to shoot. The 22 is always fun. Got some uncles who are always boasting about the 7mm mag this and that. Brother got a 44 Mag for Bear. They do take down an elk most every year. But what do you do the rest of the time. They really don't shoot much. Acutally elk hunting is really expensive anymore. And it like you are lined up at sunrise with an entire army aimed at the doomed heard. Hunting is not like it used to be.

I can step out the back door and do 200 rounds when I feel like it at the dingers and targets. The 22 is great, and I have not even been into the expensive ammo yet. I hope this does not offend anyone, but my hunter friends think if they can hit a pie plate at 200 yards they are tuned. I have had a one inch group with my 17 HMR at that distance.

Yep, I'm just a target shooter.

· Registered
90 Posts
Xavier Breath said:
I don't see how a person can buy a $550 rifle, put a $50 scope on it and shoot paper with $1 bullets.
$50 scope? Lots of these guys get $550 rifles and put $400 scopes on them for $1 bullets!

I mostly shoot black powder, but when I got modern, it is only rimfire now. I simply can't afford consistantly shooting the big stuff. The only exceptions are my two pistols (9mm and 45ACP), which I can get in bulk at gun shows without needing a second morgage.

· Registered
1,764 Posts
Guns have been a passion of mine since my dad took me out the 1st time. And early on I was almost exclusively a .22 shooter. Mainly because the rifles and ammo fit into my youngster budget. Over the years I've owned litterally hundreds of guns of all types (except MG's). Spent many years as a milsurp collector w/a special interest in Japanese Arisaka's. But I always took a .22 out on shooting trips to round out the sessions w/less expensive fun.
Nowdays I seem to have come back home. While I still own several big bore (milsurps) I find myself enjoying and shooting the .22LR more while the milsurps gather dust.

· Registered
1,284 Posts
I have a rifle in the safe that I have not been able to shoot since my accident..here is how it goes:

bought a rifle(Barrett M82A1 50 BMG for $5750), then proceeded to put a scope(Nikon 4-16x50 for $800) on top of it and then bought target type ammo($375 per rd) and went(10 hr drive) to New Mexico and shot at targets that were over a mile away...I put 10 rds into a 2 FOOT area at that distance...

there was an irragation sprinkler between us and the target that had us worried, we ran a trajectory sinulation on a laptop and found that at the irragation system, the bullets were 23 FEET in the air...LOL

So, I don't worry about spending $600 to make a 10-22 more FUN(or accurate-your choice)...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.