Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have $400 to spend on a 10/22.

Need it as accurate as possible (say two inches at 100 yards,) possibly a folding stock, some kind of rail for a scope, iron sights as backup, some trigger enhancements, as light as possible, 18" or so barrel.

What should I get?

Does anybody make "custom" 10/22's for someone who only wants to shoot them?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
2" at 100 yards with a 10/22 good luck, you will get that some times, but average will be bigger

Backup sights, check the GM fire sights barrel .920

Get a good scope, maybe you can put that one on another budget and keep the gun list at $400

VQ target hammer with jb trick

Folding stock... I have never really cared for them, maybe someone else has some input here

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
First question is:
Do you already have a 10/22 to start the project????
If you don't----good luck.:D

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Welcome to RFC

Clint has it right about the GM 16" barrel with firesights. I would forget about a folding stock if you want anything near 2" groups at 100yds also. A nice cheap stock that will still give you that all black look would be a Hogue Overmold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
rgkeller said:
I have $400 to spend on a 10/22.

Need it as accurate as possible (say two inches at 100 yards,) possibly a folding stock, some kind of rail for a scope, iron sights as backup, some trigger enhancements, as light as possible, 18" or so barrel.

What should I get?
Well I just got a slightly used SS 10/22T for $240... prolly gonna send it to CPC for a work over and it should come back w/ the total under your $400 goal. Just gotta find a deal...

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Welcome to RFC

I would definatley recommend saving up a bit more money then $400 if you want 2" groups at 100 yards. I would recommend a boyds blaster stock, a GM 16" fluted barrel and a standard 10/22 carbine. I would also get the VQ hammer

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
you want 2" at 100 yards? get the Boyds summer special 17M2 barrel and have a 10/17M2...the .22 round probably wont give you that great of accuracy but the 17m2 should be a little over 1" at 100 yards. its a thought..

oh yea Welcome to RFC! put your credit cards away while you can :)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Just abit more info. My previous ultimate was

Ruger 10/22 mods were VQ target hammer with jb trick, and a few polish, spring reversal tricks. Bedded the action into a Boyd's Ross Thumbhole stock, 6-18 scope, Lilja 21" .920 barrel, and I was luck to get 2" groups, average was just over 2"

You may want to upgrade to the 17 hm2, or the 17 hmr, and use the 22lr for 50 yards, it is fun shooting the 10/22 at 100 yards, and I still do it, but groups will fly all over with just a breeze you didn't catch before pulling the trigger, or just a ahcrap flier

Welcome to RFC
Clint

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
woodchuckssuck said:
you want 2" at 100 yards? get the Boyds summer special 17M2 barrel and have a 10/17M2...the .22 round probably wont give you that great of accuracy but the 17m2 should be a little over 1" at 100 yards. its a thought..

oh yea Welcome to RFC! put your credit cards away while you can :)
yea what he said. Put a simmons ATV scope on it with se through mounts and get a set of firefly sites to put on it. PM skeeter and buy an adjustable hammer and sear. Send him your old ones from the basic blue carbine. Forget about the folding stock.

that should get you close to what you want. If you have any $$ left over send your bolt to randy at CPC. Check out the tips and tricks section for auto bolt release and extended magazine release, then do your own

OR send me $400 and I'll send your ffl dealer as close to what you want as I can get.

swampf0x

·
Registered
936 Posts
Tough to do!

Building a rifle for $400 is gonna be tough. I hung around the gunshop scrounging parts and watched for sales etc and still couldn't duplicate my rifle for that amount. Here's what my 10/22 cost me (and it'll stay in 2" @ 100 yds with almost any good ammo I put through it....best so far .81" w/ Wolf M/T.)

10/22 Carbine....................inherited
4X12X40 Bushnell...............donated by an RFC member, lost his name dammit. Thanks again!
mounts and rings................already had laying around
Boyd's (GM) 2nd barrel........35.00
Boyd's Dakota Will stock......75.00 on sale

VQ trigger group parts: (VQ prices)
hammer............................20.00
sear.................................39.30 (Was WAY less at local shop, about $25)
extended magazine release...18.90
exact edge extractor...........12.00

Dakotan buffer.....................6.00

Misc. (JB Weld for bedding etc, paint, QD swivels....) $25.00

About $225 (w/ tax, shipping etc) here in parts that I didn't scrounge so if you add the price of rifle and decent scope...........

Good luck!

Dennis

·
Registered
936 Posts
Rebel_hunter said:
this is a reworked factory stock
this gun has bout 230 bucks into it it wont shoot 2 inches at 100 yrds but it should shoot bout .5 at 50 yrds
Nice looking low buck rifle! BTW, if it'll shoot 1/2" at 50 yds, I don't see why it won't stay in 2" at 100 unless a gale is blowing! :D

Dennis

BTW who makes that scope mount you're using? Looks like the mount is adjustable for windage?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies.

If I buy a walmart special and send it to CPC for bolt and trigger work, will I be happy with the accuracy - say less than 1" at 50 yards?

Or do I need a new barrel as well?

And a new stock?

Or should I get a used 1022T and send it to CPC for bolt and trigger work?

Does the 1022t come with a free floated barrel?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
rgkeller said:
Thanks for the replies.

If I buy a walmart special and send it to CPC for bolt and trigger work, will I be happy with the accuracy - say less than 1" at 50 yards?

Or do I need a new barrel as well?

And a new stock?

Or should I get a used 1022T and send it to CPC for bolt and trigger work?

Does the 1022t come with a free floated barrel?
You can float a barrel it's no big deal at all.

The walmart special you will have agodo chance at getting sub 1" groups at 50 yards with wichester bulk dynapoints.

Before I purchased a T model, even used, i would buy a carbine, and add a green mountain barrel and a nice stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After reading three or four hundred posts and visiting a lot of sponsors' websites, it seems that I should buy a 1022, buy a GM SS fluted BB 16" barrel with Firesights, send the trigger group, bolt and barrel to CPC for a tune up, drop the tuned stuff into a stock, and sell off the factory stock and barrel.

Which scope mount? I might mount a scope or a dot. I need to be able to see the firesights.

Which stock? I want to attach a sling. I read the post about bedding and would like to skip all that but still want the accuracy.

Which model 1022? Is the T a good idea? Can I reuse the T stock without bedding it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
A good weaver-style mount is the Power Custom mount. They usually run about $14. Midway had them on sale for $10. They may still be that price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.