Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a red squirrel the same as a tree squirrel? Here in Maine, we have these little rodents we call red squirrels. The are very noisy, and will eat their way through screen doors. Much smaller than gray squirrels.

Here's a photo of a recently departed little fellow>

What do you folks call these guys -- red sqirrels or something else?

This one was shot from a balcony above with two shots of Super Colibri in a BL-22 iron sights.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, as you know they are officially called a red squirrel. But I suspect that any one who has dealt with the damage they cause have a bunch of four letter words for them! When I am out hunting I call them "target practice"!

·
Premium Member
13,602 Posts
I always called them a pine squirrel. What I call a red squirrel is actually a fox squirrel. Gray squirrels and fox squirrels are tree squirrels, but I have shot a lot of pine squirrels out of trees when I lived in Alaska.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
over the years, i took a couple of black ones around here. they are not unplentiful east of me. it should not be to difficult to get a good picture of one if i were seriously looking for one but the hunting around here is over forever for the most part. all the places i had to shoot them over the years are now houses.

i have a picture of one after it was mounted. the picture is of poor quality so i won't post it. maybe one day i will go looking for a black squirrel picture. in my experience though, anything that is solid black is pretty tough to get a decent picture of.

luck!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.