Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How well dynapoints shoot in my stock 10/22 they are more accurate than minimags in it but i do have to admit the primers suck really bad. I had about 5 clicks which is very dangerous. The reason i say dangerous is because one time i made the dumb*** mistake of thinking that my mag was empty when i was sighting in so i went to go check the target and when i got back i discovered that my gun had a primer that didnt go off so in other word if the round was on a delay i would be dead at the moment. I MEAN WHY THE **** would winschestor ruin a excellent accurate round like the dynapoint by puting these primers on them. regardless of the primers winschestor will get my money once again because i truly love this round. I made some stupid mistakes that i WILL NEVER make again. I am just glad the gun didnt go off. I am sure i am not the only moron that has done similiar things like this. I also tried federal champion but in my OPINION they don't compare to the dynapoints but do have better primers. Some other people have probably had different results so i am not trying to tick anybody off. Just thought i would share my experience at my range.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I must be telling you something you already know but regardless.. That's why you always clear the action and lock the bolt back before going down range.. :)

I just shot a whole brick of dynapoints and had a single round that simply refused to fire in my 10/22.. I must have rotated it and tried 4-5 times.. I put it in my CZ 542 and it fired on the first try. I know being a bolt action the firing pin must strike harder, but still.. Crazy.. :rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeap, walking down range of the bench checking and marking the recent hits and all, then go back to the bench to find a round in the chamber still on point the whole time would give one the sinking feeling. I would say you used some luck up on this LOL, no need to spend any money on lottery tickets for a while LOL.

I have had more than a few of the rounds not fire too, I don't even like to handle them when taking them out to roll them over in the chamber to try them again LOL. I will try them always 3 places before ruling them a no fires. At that point I always have kept each one and tried them in a Contender which I have not had a single one not get fired. The Contender's really cancel the primers hard. I don't have a bolt action 22 that I shoot anymore, have a couple, but I don't shoot them anymore; you know the hand me down stuff LOL... You guys have a good day and be safe

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I was taught by State Law Enforcemet Instructor, He taught us to not only to lock the slide or bolt back but to look into the chamber,Twice! I still do the same drill today that I learned, I pull back the slide twice and look at the chamber two times. Some may think it's silly but I know when I lay the weapon down, it is empty. I have attended a few long range rifle matches and they require you to remove the bolt when anyone goes down range. They will inspect each weapon on the line, and once all bolts removed it's ok top go down range! Then thay will allow you to make any adjustments to scope setting, and as the say, without the bolt the rifle is not a weapon!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Kinda off topic but it just occured to me while reading this thread. I've had plenty of failure to fire with rimfire arms over the years but I can't remember a single time when I had a "delayed fire". Has anyone else?

Just wondering,

Dennis

BTW, yes by all means keep those actions open when not actually shooting! (And cylinders swung open with DA revolvers, loading gate open with SA types) The "flag in the action" idea would certainly give me more peace of mind when there are other shooters around too!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
While teaching hunters Ed last fall, one of my students had a delayed fire while doing our prone shooting using Federal lightning. I was sitting beside her when it happened, and was able te keep her pointing it downrange then it went off...

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I've shot thousands of rounds of DPs now and had never had ANY misfires until the box before the one I'm shooting now. Had maybe 3 or 4 in that box of 500. Prolly just a lot number thing. I love DPs and will shoot them as long as I can get them, and will buy them whenever I find them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have had a few of the older ammo I have of my grandfathers delay fire enough to un-nerve me. I have gotten where I hate to even shoot the stuff but have so much of it, hate to throw away. Need someone that is into the old ammo and boxes to buy this stuff for their collection LOL...

·
36,633 Posts
Back in the 70's I was doing alot of experimental stuff with centerfires. Like forming 22-250 and .243's out of full length Rem BR brass with small rifle primer. Mix a 22-250, small rifle primer, and slow ball powder on a very cold day guess what you get? Hang fires.....Like 10 or 15 second hangfires!!!!! :eek: :yikes: :hide: Guess what I don't do any more?

·
Registered
686 Posts
In general dynapoints use thin rims usually around .037 occasionally I find some down to .035 this is getting down there. Compare this to a normal CCI rim thickness of around .040 to .041. If your headspace is in the high range than it may be some of your problem.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
smoky has it, dynapoints have small rims, so make sure you have small headspace. see, 1+1 = 2 :) haha

i picked some live rounds out of a brass pail (it was almost empty) and they looked fine, so i put them into one of my guns (i think it was the mossy) and they both shot fine. i saw no reason to waste good ammo, or put live ammo in the dud bin. it was winchester superX

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Slight Hijack of Thread

About the "bolt-out" thing....

I know a lot of guys who are uneasy about removing the bolt from their rifles. "Where do you lay it down that it won't get damaged?" is what they say. If y'all will look on the Protektor website they have a neat answer - a leather bolt sheath that will hold and protect your bolt. You can lay it on the bench with confidence it won't get scraped or you can attach it to your belt with the handy loop that they provide. I think they are kinda neat - I have one in each of my gun cases to hold the bolt out of the gun while it is in the case and a couple in my range bag.

Bolt in the sheath, flag in the action, gun in the rack. You'll never catch me going downrange withouit all of those three having taken place. I'm a real "chicken" when it comes to being on the receiving end of firearms. I've been there "for real" many years ago and, having survived that, I'm not gonna get shot "by accident" now!

Sorry for the hijack. You will now be returned to your normal programming......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know guys

I made a VERY stupid mistake and i always check my action this was really the first time i didnt when this happened. And i was at the range at my house so nobody was around to get hurt but me. I am usually VERY safe with a gun but i got in a hurry and made a mistake that i shouldnt have. i am just glad i dont have a hole in me. We all learn from mistakes
:1t

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd really feel like a [email protected] if I went downrange with a live round in the chamber :1t .. It's cool that you can come on here and tell us about it. ;)

I've noticed that I start to get a little careless as well when I try and hurry myself, so I try like hell to never rush when firearms are involved.. Just not worth it. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
When using a bolt action at the range I will remove the bolt a put it in my pocket or lock my gun in the case. Saves the problem of someone picking it up to check it out. At our range guns must not be in anyones hands and actions open when people are downrange but some people do not get the message.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.