Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Hyper Velocity Ammo Concerns

1855 9
I bought a new green mountain barrel for my 10-22 this spring. So far I have onlt shot standard or regular high velocity ammo. I read on another post you should not use stingers in bentz match chambers. My questions are this:
1) does my green mountain barrel have a bentz chamber, therefore should I not use stingers in it?
2) does this also apply to CCI velocitors-- do I need to avoid them in a green mountain barrel?
3) if the answer to the above two questions is yes, then what is the hottest ammo I can safely shoot in this rifle?
4) Will these hottest types of ammo be ok to use in my stock 10-22?

Thanks for any advice you may have.
:Blasting_
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Ammunition "OK" for Bentz Chambers

ky-shooter,

Answers to your questions, in the order you asked:

1. All Green Mountain 10/22 .22 LR barrels have a Bentz chamber, and "Stingers" should not be fired in rifles with a Bentz chamber. This warning also applies to CCI QUIK-SHOK ammunition.

WARNING: Do not use Aguila Super Maximum in any 10/22, as it has been known to crack Ruger 10/22 and Marlin M60 receivers.

2. CCI Velocitors are OK, as their case is the same length as a standard .22 LR's case.

3. Other types of "hot" .22 LR ammo that you may shoot in your GM Bentz
chambered barrel are:
Federal Hyper Velocity
Remington Yellow Jackets
Remington Vipers
Winchester Expediter ( obsolete )

4. All types of .22 LR ammo maybe fired from a pure stock Ruger 10/22.

However, you have stated you have a GM Bentz chambered barrel installed, so your rifle is not pure stock....! ! :eek:

`

BigMike

·
Registered
739 Posts
First, you need to find out what type of Green Mountain barrel you have. Chances are, you have a barrel with a Bentz chamber.

Second, Green Mountain does make a barrel specifically for use with CCI Stingers and any other rounds, but it is something you would have had to order.

Velocitors are a good first choice to try in a Bentz chamber if you are looking for a high velocity hunting round.

Just my two cents...

Eric A. Mayer :cool:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks Mike for your help. I will follow your advice about the stingers. My question regarding the "stock" 10-22 was concerning a second 10-22 I own that is pure stock. I was wondering if there are any brands of ammo out there that might crack an aluminum receiver. THANKS AGAIN

BigMike said:
ky-shooter,

Answers to your questions, in the order you asked:

1. All Green Mountain 10/22 .22 LR barrels have a Bentz chamber, and "Stingers" should not be fired in rifles with a Bentz chamber. This warning also applies to CCI QUIK-SHOK ammunition.

WARNING: Do not use Aguila Super Maximum in any 10/22, as it has been known to crack Ruger 10/22 and Marlin M60 receivers.

2. CCI Velocitors are OK, as their case is the same length as a standard .22 LR's case.

3. Other types of "hot" .22 LR ammo that you may shoot in your GM Bentz
chambered barrel are:
Federal Hyper Velocity
Remington Yellow Jackets
Remington Vipers
Winchester Expediter ( obsolete )

4. All types of .22 LR ammo maybe fired from a pure stock Ruger 10/22.

However, you have stated you have a GM Bentz chambered barrel installed, so your rifle is not pure stock....! ! :eek:

`

BigMike

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yeah, big second for Jee on that one. Stick with standard or high velocity ammo for the .22s, unless you're one of the really lucky people that ends up with a rifle that loves the Hypers. The .222, .223, or any number of other small centerfire rounds are the way to go for reaching out just a bit farther, or possibly a 17HMR, although at the price of ammo for them, I prefer the .222.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.