Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted on several threads here about my erly experiences w/CCI Stingers and autoloading .22 rifles. And no one has really ever had much to rsepond.
My experience was that a Winchester Model 190 and a Remington Model 552 were ruined by use of them.
Both rifles were pre-1970 MFG, the 190 being purchased new in the late 1960's and the 552 being inherited from my GF who had owned it many years.
The 190 was the 1st to exhibit problems, w/the 552's showing up several years later. We just figured the 190 was "cheap" and didn't try to get it fixed (but kept it). After the 552 went bad, I tried to have both rifles repaired. I was told by several gunsmiths who declined to even try repairs that the CCI Stingers were the cause and the rifles could not be reliably repaired.
Since then I have made it a rule to avoid ANY Hyper Velocity ammo in autoloaders. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, Can't believe I forgot to include that info. Both barrels became loose in the receiver and rifles would not feed. You could load/fire single shot, but w/loose barrels accuracy was next to impossible.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well stingers and Aguila hypermax have slightly longer cases. In fact I recall that Ruger recommends no stingers in the 10/22T due to the bentz type chamber. They can stick and have problems. Mostly I would think blown case bottoms and slightly increased pressure waves.

I'm sure that they contribute to barrel and throat errosion faster than say standard velocity, but I can't understand the loose barrel issue.

I shoot them out off my 1960s Remington sportmaster with no problems over the last couple years. It has a double pinned barrel.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it took several years before we noticed a problem. When Stingers were introduced (or at least we learned of them), we shot ALOT of them.
But that's why I'm curious. I never heard of anyone else complaining of this happening to thier rifle. And I had 2 of them!
The notion that it was caused by Stingers came from 2 different gunsmiths, so I assumed it was a fairly common thing they had seen before.
As far as I know, my brother still has the Remington and I'm wondering about trying again to get it repaired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.