Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to lower the (excessively high) comb on my Hunter/Sihohouette rifle a little. I'm happy with the scope and rings I've got, but the height is just a tad too high. Has anyone done this, and any suggestions on matching the stock finish?
Thanks.

Doug.

· Registered
1,920 Posts
I restocked my HS in a Kimber AA claro classic stock because of the high comb. The stock has an oil finish and although I have not done it, I think TruOil would probably work fine to touch up the area worked on after sanding with 320 grit paper. When the stock is ready for the finish I always fill it by putting some TruOil on the wood and sanding with the grain, making a paste of the oil and wood--then rub the paste you've made cross grain with the heel of your hand. This paste looks sort of like apple butter--but it's made of the oil and wood. You can notice that it fills the pores in the wood nicely. Let it dry for a couple of days and use 0000 steel wool to remove all of it--it will remain in the pores. Then you can put Truoil on the wood in successive coats until it suits you. I usually rub it between coats with 0000 steel wool. But, I'm very picky!! If it's too shiny, just knock off the shine with 0000 steel wool--rub always in the direction of the grain of the wood.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.