Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start a new 10/22 td project. I'v been drooling over the TD whit a bull barrel and hogue stock!!

Phase one. Mill barrel. This will be done by a friend at a machine shop.

Phase two. The stock. This is where my question comes in to play...

I'm leaning towards using my fine wood trim saw. It can be fixed to 90°, and is about 1mm thick. Anyone see a problem here?

Alt. I could use hot wire cutter, dremel og sawzall???

All points of view are much appreciated;-)

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm about to start a new 10/22 td project. I'v been drooling over the TD whit a bull barrel and hogue stock!!

Phase one. Mill barrel. This will be done by a friend at a machine shop.

Phase two. The stock. This is where my question comes in to play...

I'm leaning towards using my fine wood trim saw. It can be fixed to 90°, and is about 1mm thick. Anyone see a problem here?

Alt. I could use hot wire cutter, dremel og sawzall???

All points of view are much appreciated;-)
Remember the Hogue stock itself is fiberglass with a polymer coating and not plastic. I would assume using a diamond blade tile wet saw would be the best way. I believe another member on here has cut a Hogue stock. If you search this section you will see pictures of his work.

James

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very carefully with the thinnest most accurate blade you can find. I would be interested if you decided to use the wire.

Which are you trying to cut? The OM or the all plastic?

The real question you should ask is. How am I going to sand it squarely without losing the edge? No matter what blade you use. You will need to sand it. Or it will look like buttkiss.

These two things are the foundations of how good it will look in the end.

Cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would like to go the wire way for a clean cut, but it might be to much of a build for a single cut, and secondly im worried about how the glass fiber would react. Thats why I'll probably go with the till saw, super thin and fine blad.

I'm going with the nylon stock.

As for sanding, I'll go old school with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper and a block. Thinking of leaving the the cut alittle long and sand my way in. Ending up whit the 2000 grit. I also had some success with the dremel, so it might be a combo deal.

Need to have the stock in my hand before i can choose, and get a feel for it!

Sounds good??

I'll post the way I went, and hopefully the finished product. Any advice from a pro like U tdjedi is much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would like to go the wire way for a clean cut, but it might be to much of a build for a single cut, and secondly im worried about how the glass fiber would react. Thats why I'll probably go with the till saw, super thin and fine blad.

I'm going with the nylon stock.

As for sanding, I'll go old school with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper and a block. Thinking of leaving the the cut alittle long and sand my way in. Ending up whit the 2000 grit. I also had some success with the dremel, so it might be a combo deal.

Need to have the stock in my hand before i can choose, and get a feel for it!

Sounds good??

I'll post the way I went, and hopefully the finished product. Any advice from a pro like U tdjedi is much appreciated!!!
Sounds good so far. Although you will probably end up using much coarser sandpaper. Like 100-500. If you are doing it by hand( how I started) I found it was easiest to put the sandpaper on a flat table. Holding the stock in the hand and turning the wrist back and forth. Sort of walking the stock. It takes some feel but it is far easier to keep your corners and squareness. Then if you are holding a block in your hand. YMMV

I have not done a nylon but I would imagine it behaves like a Tapco or BC. So it should be easy to cut. The OM is a whole different beast as it is literally rubber over plastic. So there are 2 entirely different materials to deal with at the same time= Not fun.

If you keep me posted, I can give you advise on some of the things you will encounter that you may not be expecting. And some helpful hints. I started with a very basic setup so I know what it takes to get it done without tons of options available.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Ps. How is the rubber stock to work with?

Worried about the rubber thearing with the saw!
Trick for grinding butt pads is to toss 'em in the freezer for a bit... I would imagine the same would work for a stock, if you have a big enough cold spot. Of course, with winter here it may be easier for some...

I'd be worried there would be hollow spaces in it though...

So maybe cut with a wider blade and not worry about loosing length when you sand, and then putting a metal or plastic end cap on each piece to bring it back to proper lengths?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.