Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 10/22 ruger and took it out the other day for the first time. I was 4- Wheeling with my buddies and I turned my ride over on its side. The gun was strapped to my back(barrel pointed up over my right shoulder). I went flying, I landed half on my side and half on my back. The barrel hit first into the ground and I kinda rolled over it. There was mud in the barrel, which I shot out, and the stock was a little loose. There is also a scratch on the inside at the end of the barrel from a rock. Basically I would just like to know if I could have damaged anything(bent the barrel, damaged the reciever, etc.) I had not fired it before I wrecked but it seems to shoot fine. I'm fairly new to guns and this is my first gun. I would just be really pissed if I screwed up my first new gun its first time out. I would apreciate any help, thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There wasn't that much mud in it. Plus, I know I said I was new to guns but I was with a Marine. He looked at it and said to go ahead and shoot it out. Who was I to argue with him.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Marine or not

You should take a hunters safety coarse. That was very bad advice he gave you. Rule #1 always treat a gun as if it were loaded. #2 always check to make sure you have an unobstructed bore. #3 never fire a gun if you think it may be damaged. One time I was out hunting and walking on a frozen lake. There was a fresh snow blowing across the lake and it had covered a fishermans hole. I steped in the hole an went up passed my knee. The barrel slammed the ice and I got a wet foot. The first thing I did was unload the gun and check the barrel. Sure enough there was slush packed 1 1/2" down the barrel. I have also slipped in wet mub many times and stuffed my shotgun barrel with mud. Anytime you fall or have the slightest clue that you may have stuffed the barrel you need to check it. It is more difficult to clear the bore on a semi auto but still as important. I would make yourself a patch worm out of weed wacker line and keep it with you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
WilliamW said:
There wasn't that much mud in it. Plus, I know I said I was new to guns but I was with a Marine. He looked at it and said to go ahead and shoot it out. Who was I to argue with him.
Well, you could very well have been the one in the hospital arguing with him :eek: A Marine should have known better! Of all the military men trained to respect and treat a weapon correctly, the Marines should be the experts in that field.

Take your 10/22 to a gunsmith and have him check it out before using it again. It's better to be out about $160 for it than the loss of an eye or finger or hand....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Being a marine he should have known better.Being x army I know better even if there wasn't a full obstruction to the barrell guess what that mud could do at 1500fps at the speed of that bullet forcing it out the barrell.Mud is very abrassive.
With a one shot one kill motto,he should have known better. You could quickly kill accuracy of a weapon that way. If you ever got caught doing that in the military youd be walking kind of funny til you had your weapon removed by the nearest medic.

Not meaning to be rude but please do your reading and take a hunters safety course.Check you shooting ranges as they will have safety courses and good accurizing tips as well.
I'm glad no one was hurt it could have been a dangerous situation.
Take a course and take care

·
Registered
486 Posts
Gee..... everyone has been real polite so far....

ATV's and guns don't mix!!!!!!

If you ABSOLUTELY have to have your 10/22 ( I don't see why, It's not a deer or protection gun)

Buy a gun case that has an attachment for your ATV. What you did wasn't very bright. I understand why you belived the Marine with more gun experience thatn you.... He was obviously not being very bright.

Also, the 10/22 reciever is aluminum and can be bent pretty easily..... Truth be told, it should be bent... you may think it's an expensive mistake, but in truth, it's priceless.

I hope you practice more responsibility in your gun ownership by taking a hunter's safety course.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Priceless

Try to find shelter "Out Of The Sun" during the day when ATVing. I had the same thing happen to me but I was driving a Cement Truck and it only rolled over on my head once. Then my buddy an Ex Para Legal told me that he thought I could sue the Cement Co. Thank God I did not take his advice. Seems that most Cement Co. Employee Contracts are Rock Solid when it comes to having a firearm with you while on the job. Could have COST me a bundle in legal fees if I had.

Ainard:eek:

·
Registered
707 Posts
WilliamW, I think everybody here has pretty well explained the danger of firing the rifle with an obstructed barrel. Some of it may have come across a bit harsh, but they are right. The last thing that any member of this forum wants is for someone to have an accident with a gun (we don't want anybody to ge hurt either). As a gun owner, you represent the rest of us whether we like it or not. Please be more careful for your own sake!

As for the damage to the rifle, yes you might have a problem. Even though it fired and functioned as you had hoped, it may have a problem. GET IT CHECKED OUT TO BE SAFE! Something may be lose, and it may cause a problem if fired again. Have your local gunsmith give it a cleaning and have him check it out. Be sure and tell him what happened. This way he will have a pretty good idea of what to look for. As for specifics, it is very doubtful that you bent the barrel, but the receiver is made of aluminum. A potential problem is where the barrel fits into the receiver. If you didn't put enough force on it to break your stock, you might not have hurt anything else, but please get it checked out before using it again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
most have been said.

Even if the reciever is normal, you most likely killed the barrel. I wouldn't be surprised if you can't get it to group. By shooting the mud out, you ran a steel file through the barrel.

For God's sake, take hunter safety classes.

halik

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
1st 10/22 said:
Always keep the barrel pointed at the ground! Not up in the air.
I absolutely, positively don't believe I read that statement.

Walking with a gun barrel pointed at the ground is an accident waiting to happen. OK...maybe you don't fall down. did you ever stop to think that walking along through the normal vegetation that you could jam a stick up the barrel, break it off and never even realize you did it?

In fifty + years of hunting, I've fallen down my share of times under about any circumstance that you can think of, but not ONE time has the barrel ever came anywhere near the dirt. A couple times I landed so hard I had to look the stock over, because when I fall, I intentionally point the barrel nearly straight up and use the butt hitting the ground first as a cushion to control the fall. The worst that ever came of it was digging some mud out of the holes in the recoil pad.

Fact is, I'd hunt with a person who walked with the gun barrel pointing down about ONE time..

Ron

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sorry..... Not a real avid hunter. Tree stand is all of 50 ft from the road. (Never shoot towards road)

I was just thinking about how I hold the gun at the range.

Makes sense... that's why I don't go hunting without taking a course ;)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Antlurz,

Although my gun is usually slinged pointing up. I'm surprised to hear your dislike of carring a gun pointed down. While it is more dangerous to point it towards your own legs than in the air I think the "other" accepted safe way is at your side pointed in front of you or towards the ground at an angle. I just saw an article the other day showing to carry your gun in a sling barrel down. I think that is just totaly wrong.(Is that what you meant?) The best way really depends on how many other people are hunting with you. One of the biggest mistakes is walking in single file because you tend to point your guns at each other while ducking through the brush. The important part is to never point your gun at anything you dont want to shoot loaded or not.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Never thought about having a sling either....

Let me think the last time I used one.....;)

My range gun (hehehahhahahaha) (first time I could say that) has no sling, so I point it down.

W/ my Dad's ol' mossy, I use the sling w/...... ok... the bbl. pointed up.

Point is.... Rifle should be in a case when on the ATV and rifle unloaded, locked open, and safety on.

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chum_Bucket..

I've been thinking what you said over. I came to the conclusion that if it was just me ond ONE other guy out bird hunting, if he wanted to walk along with is gun pointing at the ground, I guess that would be just fine with me. Personally, if I was walking with my normal hold on the gun, it would be more or less across the chest, two hand hold and pointed up at around 45 degrees.

The reason is, if he's pointing his gun at the ground, and a bird gets up, I'm gonna have a load of birdshot in it before he can get his gun to his shoulder. Every time.

'Cept for that, I'll stand by what I said. First time he gets a grape vine wrapped around his ankle, he's gonna shove his barrel right in the dirt.

Closest I'd ever come to walking with the barrel pointing down would be a one hand hold to break the monotony on a long walk, and even then, it would be mostly pointing straight foreward at my side.

Ron

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.