Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

How tough is the "blueing"?

312 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  SwampF0X
Let's say I'm going to buy a blued 10/22. I plan on replacing the barrel, so the action will be the only part left blued. My question is, how tough is the blueing? Is it like the old revolvers where if you leave fingerprints on it, over time the acid will deteriorate the finish, or is it a non-traditional blueing that is labeled at "blued" but is almost impossible to fudge up?

For example, my Kel-Tec P3AT is labeled "blued" but I've gotten dirt, fingerprints, sweat, blood, grease, water, etc. on the slide and none of it has ever left a mark or dammaged the finish. Does the same goes for 10/22's or do I have to take a certain precaution with it?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10,095 Posts
You can do anything you want to it and it won't hurt it. It is not a surface treatment like bluing... it is a thick, hard paint like material. If you want it to stay black, just don't take paint remover to it and it would stay black until you pass it on to your grandkids.

· Registered
20,675 Posts
i used MOTHERS alum polish, but that can get ridiculous as the more you polish the blacker your rag gets. no end to alum. just used an auto type non abrasive wax
like carnauba. am thinking of spraying a clear coat over the polished finish, but of course would have to de-grease first. the alum doesn't get hot enuff to start getting dull. did mine about two years ago and still shines like chrome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.