Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

How to use felt cleaning pellets?

556 12
I just got two packs of the felt cleaning pellets and have a few questions. I have 22 caliber to use on 3 rimfire and 2 centerfire and 6.5 caliber to use on my 6.5 Creedmore.

Why pellets instead of just patches and when?

Do you use then exclusively or in combination?

I also bought JB Bore Paste and the directions are to swab the barrel 10 times, If you use pellets for that do they come off when you pull the rod out and is that done after just cleaning with solvents.

I know how to use them but when and with what?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
They sell rod jags and snakes specifically for the pellets. You should be able to push a pellet from breach to muzzle with a rod. The jags and snakes I’ve seen have a tiny nut on the end to hold the pellet

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They sell rod jags and snakes specifically for the pellets. You should be able to push a pellet from breach to muzzle with a rod. The jags and snakes I’ve seen have a tiny nut on the end to hold the pellet
The pellets I bought came with jags but no nuts, but it seems the pellets sort of screw on.
Pellets have a larger load bearing surface area on the bore's surface compared to a less efficient patch hence more efficient. Many folks use em when rf accuracy begins to suffer. YMMV
I'm one of those crazy people who cleans before accuracy falls off, that mens every time I shoot a firearm. I guess I'm wondering if people use them instead of patches for general cleaning.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I’ve found a better selection of pellet jags/supplies where air rifles are sold. I use a pellet with brass pieces entwined for cleaning and a plain pellet for oiling. I find that they are easier, faster and better cleaning than cotton patches. As members wiser than I have said….YMMV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got two packs of the felt cleaning pellets and have a few questions. I have 22 caliber to use on 3 rimfire and 2 centerfire and 6.5 caliber to use on my 6.5 Creedmore.

Why pellets instead of just patches and when?

Do you use then exclusively or in combination?

I also bought JB Bore Paste and the directions are to swab the barrel 10 times, If you use pellets for that do they come off when you pull the rod out and is that done after just cleaning with solvents.

I know how to use them but when and with what?
If they are the Tipton pellets like I use, there should be a brass jag inside the pouch with the pellets. Cleaning, oiling, I feel like they do a better job more efficiently. If you let your cleaning rod rotate freely inside the bore the pellet won't unscrew from the jag on the backstroke.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Have heard of pellets, but never used them. Where do you get the pellets? I looked at PatchWork and it seems they only sell "buttons" for heavy cleaning. Unless I just missed them.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer some questions, comments.
Yes they are Tipton pellets and did come with a jag in each caliber which seen to be the same size for both the 22 and 6.5 caliber.

Yes all my rods do rotate and I have 4 and I didn't thing about that. I was just concerned they would pull off on the back stroke

It seems that the pellets in general are used in place of patches where ever a patch would be used. Unfortunately, my range closed Wednesday and I doubt I will make it there in time to shoot anything so I won't have a dirty gun until April 1st. So maybe I'll talk to my hunting buddy and can clean his rifle as soon as he is done hunting.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My understanding is on a jag you remove patch or pellet before pulling the rod back through the bore on it one way trip from bore guide to muzzle
The reason I ask is I also bought so JB Bore paste and they recommend swabbing the barrel back and forth 10 times. Maybe I'll have to use patches for that.

·
Premium Member
37,013 Posts
The reason I ask is I also bought so JB Bore paste and they recommend swabbing the barrel back and forth 10 times. Maybe I'll have to use patches for that.
Put a mark on the rod after measuring so you don't poke the jag out past the muzzle and then proceed with back n forth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts