Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

How to remove staked bolt extractors

744 Views 19 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  LRJ
Does anyone have handy the thread on how to remove staked extractors. I am having trouble locating it with the search feature.:confused:

Thanks for your help

Ray
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Does anyone have handy the thread on how to remove staked extractors. I am having trouble locating it with the search feature.:confused:

Thanks for your help

Ray
It seems to me that it involves a paper clip. Rosscoe did that just recently, maybe he'll stick his head in here soon.

· Premium Member
24,497 Posts
Removing a bad one is not the problem. I just bend them back from the front,twist around and "work" them out of there. You don't have to worry about ruining an already bad one!!!!:t
tFrank did a thread on it,sometime back.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
On the 342 KC I picked up last week I just notice the right extractor looked funny. Closer examination one of the staked spots was broken and the extractor was not held down. Also the bolt is bent below the extractor staked area. Guess this means a new bolt. NOT HAPPY :(

Here is the thread I found Sorry I was not thinking Had my mind on this broken bolt http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395318&highlight=staked+extractors I think there is another one tfrank posted also.

Thanks for the help

Ray

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I see a lot of Mossberg bolts on Gunbroker, and sometimes on EBAY.

And here's the cross-referenced bolts that will fit:
320B, 320K-A, 320K, 320TR, 340B-A, 340K-A, 340TR, 342KA, 342KB

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A complete bolt for a 342 just closed out for $55. Numrick has a stripped bolt for $28.30 if Havlins does not have one Havlins has gone to the NRA convention and will not be back until the 17th. Thanks for the cross reference information, that will come in handy. I managed to get both extractors out and they appear to be ok. I used the paper clip trick and raised the bent end high enough to get a small screw driver under it and pulled with needle nose pliers from the other end and out it came. Hope they go back together as easy.

Thanks for all the help

Ray

· Registered
5,447 Posts
I would first try to stake them in front and at the rear of the broken stake , you might be able to get them to hold and not have to buy a new bolt.

The other thing that could maybe work if nothing else would , drill small holes through the extractors and with a carbide bit, drill into the bolt a short way, thread it and use very small screws to hold the extractors in, you might have to grind the heads of the screws a little. The metal in the bolt is hard, so tapping it would take time and a great deal of care not to break the tap.

I'm just crazy enough to try it if I ever had that problem, as long as the bolt is toast, the only cost would be the carbide drill bit and a quality, new tap. You could start the threads and grind the tap down as you went until it was a bottoming tap.
It just might work, might not also as the bolts are pretty hard, but I'm not sure if Mossberg hardened their bolts as much as say a new CF rifle, if the Rockwell hardness is not too high, it could work.

Good Luck and have fun with your son. Buying a used bolt would be the easy way to go and get your rifle shooting, just keep a good eye out for one on E Pay, and if it goes to high, wait, another will come along.

My Best, John

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey John thanks for the ideas but I think that bolt is toast. It is also bent, look at the top edge of the first picture, see how it is bent and it is also bent down. Somebody must have hit it hard with something. Or somebody was trying to remove the extractor and did not know how.
Numrich shows a stripped bolt for $28.30, so I think I am going to get a stripped bolt from Havlins (if they have one) or from Numrich and rebuild it using my parts. Lessons learned I will look closer next time. I have picked up 14 Mossbergs over the past year and that is the first mechanical issue I've had.

Have a Good Evening

Ray

· Registered
5,447 Posts
Sounds like another bolt will be needed, it will come togather and be a great rifle.

My Best, John

· Registered
10,861 Posts
I would first try to stake them in front and at the rear of the broken stake , you might be able to get them to hold and not have to buy a new bolt.

The other thing that could maybe work if nothing else would , drill small holes through the extractors and with a carbide bit, drill into the bolt a short way, thread it and use very small screws to hold the extractors in, you might have to grind the heads of the screws a little. The metal in the bolt is hard, so tapping it would take time and a great deal of care not to break the tap.

I'm just crazy enough to try it if I ever had that problem, as long as the bolt is toast, the only cost would be the carbide drill bit and a quality, new tap. You could start the threads and grind the tap down as you went until it was a bottoming tap.
It just might work, might not also as the bolts are pretty hard, but I'm not sure if Mossberg hardened their bolts as much as say a new CF rifle, if the Rockwell hardness is not too high, it could work.

Good Luck and have fun with your son. Buying a used bolt would be the easy way to go and get your rifle shooting, just keep a good eye out for one on E Pay, and if it goes to high, wait, another will come along.

My Best, John
~~You can restake 'em i've done it in the past :t ~~JMJ~~

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sir How did you restake the bolt I can't loose by trying. I'm afraid this bolt is cracked along with being bent. Look at the very edge of the right side of the bolt and it is bent. There is a line under where it is bent that looks like a crack.

Thanks for your help

Ray

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Yes, you have, young man! And a fine job you did!:bthumb:

...this bolt is cracked along with being bent. Look at the very edge of the right side of the bolt and it is bent. There is a line under where it is bent that looks like a crack.
Thanks for your help
Ray
I believe you are correct, sir! Even my untrained eye can see it now. It looks as though someone tried restaking it and smashed it good (or bad).

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Too bad this one isn't identified. And too bad it's so spendy.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=281054487

And here's another maybe.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=281795487

And another.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=281349985

And...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=281726206

And...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=281559896

The problem is that there are two families of bolts listed in the cross reference for the 342. Which family is his 342KC in????? And they show different bolts.

There is this string: bolt# 1467
320B, 320K-A, 320K, 320TR, 340B-A, 340K-A, 340TR, 342KA, 342KB

Then this one: bolt# 1469
340B, 340K, 342, 342K

I looked up the parts breakdowns, and the bolt bodies are sporadically different, with no rhyme or reason that I know of. If you could find just the bolt body that would be okay as well. But which bod?.

You might contact Vic Havlin, 'cause he may know which group the KC belongs to.:bthumb:

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the bolt sites Steve The first bolt looks like the bolt in my 640 KA 22 mag. The rest look like the bolt I need for the 342 KC. I was going to wait until Vic returned from the NRA Convention next week (4/17)and check if they have one, and also check if they have the lower half for a S130 peep.

Thanks for your time and help

Best Regards

Ray

· Registered
10,861 Posts
Sir How did you restake the bolt I can't loose by trying. I'm afraid this bolt is cracked along with being bent. Look at the very edge of the right side of the bolt and it is bent. There is a line under where it is bent that looks like a crack.

Thanks for your help

Ray
I just used a flat faced punch and overlapped the edge and gave it a good whack , Yours looks like some one more than gave it a good sharp whach ,if it's cracked ,i wouldn't trust it unless you have an expert welder and redress everything to normal , the slight bow might not matter as long as the bolt face seat flat with the breech . ~~JMJ~~

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I just used a flat faced punch and overlapped the edge and gave it a good whack , Yours looks like some one more than gave it a good sharp whach ,if it's cracked ,i wouldn't trust it unless you have an expert welder and redress everything to normal , the slight bow might not matter as long as the bolt face seat flat with the breech . ~~JMJ~~
I think if I gave it a good whack a chunck would whack out where it is cracked.
I'm just going to buy another one I will check with Vic Havlin when he gets back from the NRA Convention. I hope he has a stripped bolt I can rebuild with my parts. The extractors look OK.

Thanks for the reply and the help

Ray

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.