Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Noobie here to ultimates and what not and I have a simple question for you; how doyou clean your heavy barrel 10/22? On my Rem 700 I use a coated rod from the chamber end, I don't imagine that every one is taking apart their favorite pest erradicator to do the same are you?

I saw the thread about the Patchworm and it seems that it would allow you to clean from the chamber without disassembling the whole shebang and possibly effecting the point of aim.

What do you do?

Thanks for helping a beginner out :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use my Patchworm to clean the barrel. I really don't clean tha barrel very often and it doesn't seem to make much difference in accuracy on mine.I use a 22 cal brush that I bent at 90 degrees to clean just the chamber area if I start having trouble with stovepipes. I use a spray solvent and Q-tips for the bolt face and chamber area when they start getting too much buildup.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, I don't have a 10/22 yet, but I'll tell you how I clean my 2013. I use a brass 1 piece Dewey rod, then I put 1 patch of powder solvent (Hoppes 9), then a dry brass brush through several times to clean out the lead fouling, then a dry patch through. If the dry patch has only very light (like a number 4 or higher pencil mark) then I'm done, if it's darker, the dry brass brush goes through again. This is done every couple thousand rounds.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Make sure you get the Hoppe's

Take a pair of pliers and just work the brush from the inside of the cloth, takes about 5 minutes, lots faster after you figure it out. I normally do not even put and solvent or anything on the snake, just pull it thru dry, and keep the snake clean, wash it once a month or a week if you clean a lot. Hot soapy water in the bathroom sink works good

Clint

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
J Beede said:
Dry Bore snake with brush intact after wet and dry pacthes via patchworm. What's the concern with the embedded brush in the bore snake?
Nothing really, it's just not needed in my opinion. Powder fouling can be removed with just the dry bore snake, a solvent will take the wax lube out, the brush does not really serve much of a purpose for rimfire. I may use a brush seldom, on a new barrel if it has lots of good left in it, or on a old new to me gun.

Clint

·
Registered
196 Posts
So if the brush simply isn't needed and does nothing harmful why take it out? Just wondering.. I use a boresnake once 'n a while on my .22's but I'd rather not risk ruining a $15 piece of *rope* trying to take the brush out. ;)

·
Registered
778 Posts
I took the brush out of my bore snake because alot of benchrest competitors consider using a brush on 22lr to be a big no no. Seems like people do more damage with cleaning rods on 22's than the normal wear of the low velocity round.

Ruger Rob

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Jus said:
So if the brush simply isn't needed and does nothing harmful why take it out? Just wondering.. I use a boresnake once 'n a while on my .22's but I'd rather not risk ruining a $15 piece of *rope* trying to take the brush out. ;)
I say just leave the brushes on, they do help clean the chamber, an area that usually needs a good brushing, I picked up a bore snake today at Walmart, immediatly tried it out when I got home, my first gun to clean was a 10/22 with a standard carbine barrel, it was pretty dirty, I put alittle solvent at the end of the snake, found out this was not a good idea, I thought I had gotten it stuck in the barrel, couldn't pull it out from either end, had to try something so I jerked real hard from the muzzle end and got it moving again and finially got it out, I was surprised the black sting didn't break. So when I went to my CZ to clean, I put the solvent at the begining of the snake, it slid much eaiser....it probably says to do this in the instructions but I didn't read them.......I've been pullin' patches since I read that cleaning rods are bad.....and I must say the bore snake is a whole lot faster than patches and does a better job, I would recommend one.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Wallmart, Dick's, Dunham's, Gander Mt.
You can get just the snake, or they have a kit too that give's you some hoppe's solvent and oil.. Handy Pouch too ,with a handel for the snake that I rarely use....
Personel prefrence,, but not a bad idea at all..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Gee

To think I bought stainless so I could squirt my garden hose down the barrel all these years!

Seriously, I really like the Patchworn. Especially being so compact I can pack one in each rifle and pistol case. I clean at the range just after shooting and just stick it back in the vault when I get home.

·
Registered
389 Posts
my routine.

occaisionally, I lock open the action and clean with q-tips.

when I start to get jams, I clean the mags.

and on those few occasions when I clean the barrel, I want to make sure its clean.

So, I did the simple, no-cost "drill a hole in the receiver" method so I could clean the barrel from the breech end.

:D

·
Registered
778 Posts
nipprdog

The only proplem with using a cleaning rod through the reciever is that if you don't have a bore guide you might be doing damage to the chamber of your barrel. Plus with the snake you do not have to take the action out of the stock.

Ruger Rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.