Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How tight does everyone torque the action screw on a 93R17? It is the factory wood stock. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with this in a quest for more accuracy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine has a synthetic stock but I can tell you what I've done and it will be applicable to yours. The torque of the screw does affect the accuracy on the 93's especially if you stock has a touch pad between the stock and the barrel at the foremost tip of the forearm (i.e. not truly full floated). My gun was real sensitive to screw torque until I relieved that touch pad and full floated the barrel. The 93 uses a sort of "reverse" pillar bedding system in that the pillar is dovetail mounted to the action/barrel assembly rather than epoxied into the stock. This pillar also acts as sort of a recoil lug as well. Some people have epoxied around the pillar in an effort to ensure positive lug engagement although I haven't had to go to those lengths on mine. A couple of things you want to make sure of when dealing with the pillar/lug arrangement. First, when you reassemble the gun make sure that the action is pulled all the way rearward before you tighten the screw and make sure that as you do this the pillar contacts firmly some part of the stock. If it doesn't then you need ot epoxy bed behind it or in my case I made a larger diameter pillar that accomplished the same thing. Secondly, make sure that the portion of the stock underneath the pillar is solid and contacts the pillar fairly quickly as you go to tighten the screw. If too muck gap is present then other parts of the barrel and action start to contact the stock in the wrong places, affecting accuracy. If too much gap is present in this area then you can make an aluminum plate/washer that can be custom fitted to the "well" in the stock and can take up the excess margin as well as provide a solid base that the pillar can tighten up against.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rifleman, I was thinking that there were some things to check on this gun when putting the action back in the stock. I will check all of your suggestions.

The reason I asked is because I have had other guns that were VERY picky on action screw torque, but this one looked so simple, I wasn't sure if playing with the torque would cause much change in accuracy.

Thanks again for the information.

Wayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.