Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Those serial numbers are a real hoot when you start looking them over. I get reminded how old I really am when I drag out my stocker 10/22 for some fun. Mine was built in 1963 so I would say I have an oldie and a goodie!!

Greg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Darn, I said it was an oldy and a goodie. Its kind of like my brain is ------OLD!! LOL

Acctually mine is a 1967 vintage.. I type like I read sometimes which varies from time to time. My serial # is in the 33,000 lot.

Greg

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Ruger Rifle SN Table

When using the Table for determining the Year of Manufacture of your "Ruger" rifle, note that the "Year" column is the FIRST SN for that Year / Model: [your SN should be between that SN & the next year's SN]

Rimfire Rifles___________1964___1965___1966_
10/22________________ [ 1 ]__[ 453 ]__[ 2296 ]

So, if you have SN 422, it was made in 1964; if you have SN 472, it was made in 1965; etc.......... :)

Serial Numbers by Year for Ruger Rifles

Enjoy........ ;)

·
Registered
936 Posts
According to the Ruger site 1981 models start at serial #121-03969. My rifle is serial #121-01700. (The last two zeros are for privacy) Does this make my rifle a "pre-production" model? Does that affect it's value providing that I leave it 100% stock? (Or at least have all stock parts that may be replaced eg: hammer) I'm wondering if I should leave this rifle alone and get another 10/22 at the pawnshop or auction to start tinkering with

Just wondering

Dennis

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey all,
I just got my 2nd 10/22 yesterday; serial # 11xxx. Metal is in excellent condition, but some idiot painted the stock in black metal-flake...
Just waiting for Green Mountain to start making those 22" sporter barrels.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
"pre-production"....? ?

Bucks Owin,
Bucks Owin said:
According to the Ruger site 1981 models start at serial #121-03969. My rifle is serial #121-01700. (The last two zeros are for privacy) Does this make my rifle a "pre-production" model? Does that affect it's value providing that I leave it 100% stock? (Or at least have all stock parts that may be replaced eg: hammer) I'm wondering if I should leave this rifle alone and get another 10/22 at the pawnshop or auction to start tinkering with.

Just wondering
Dennis
No, it means your 10/22 [SN 121-01700] was made in 1980...! ! :eek:

10/22 production by SN ran from 119-59923 to 121-03968 in 1980, so your would have been made in December of 1980. :eek:

Just another 'plain vanilla' 10/22....! ! ;)

Production of the 10/22 began in 1964 with SN 1 ....! ! :eek:

:)

·
Banned
959 Posts
You guys with late 60's model 10/22's have Walnut stocks made by S.E.Overton
That and some other subtle differences make them keepers!
Though there's been various grades of walnut used over the years and even some made of maple and of course todays birch...those Overton's were uniquely classey high grade walnut. :t

Mike

·
Registered
569 Posts
Subtle Differences

I found a couple weird things in my (new to me) old one (serial #11xxx)

A) there's no stake-punch in the top of the bolt to keep the firing pin from flopping around in there, and

B) the recoil spring and operating handle aren't "captive" on the guide rod; there's also a small "bead" between the spring and handle.

There are probably more; I just took it apart enough to hose it out with brakeparts cleaner. It was kinda syrupy in there; gummy oil mixed with old powder residue and accumulated soot & dust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.