Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as i do it once aprox every 5000 round. And thats with a bore snake with no chemicals.

Do we really need to use solvents in .22 barrels? I used it once and it took me about 100 rounds to get the rifle to hold POI.

Regards
KAT

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I clean my 452 barrels hardly ever, maybe once every 1000 rounds or so. And then only with a couple of loose, dry patches. Solvents aren't necessary in .22LR barrels unless you are shooting in competition and need maximum accuracy. Good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not really worth the trouble

Well kat ,
I clean mine when I am bored and I fancy looking at the quality of the twist and the lands,not really to help the accuracy which takes a bit to get back,I clean the bolt more to get rid of the fired powder,then every so often I run a piece of fly fishing line with a loop at one end down the barrel with a rag sometimes soaked in Youngs 303 oil,It takes roughly 25 to 50 shots for the accuracy to get spot on again,on the same note my brother's
10 yr old rifle aint seen anything in the barell other than bullets and has never had the bolt removed since new nor oiled,he treats his gun like rubbish,it shoots and performs the same as it did when new and still is unbeleivably accurate,even compared to my tweaked 452.His is the special or standard model but when he got it it was fitted with 2 action screws and no forward barrel screw at all,this may be part of the accuracy of this rifle.One other thing is he also treats his .243 Rem 700 BDL Varmint in the same sad way,a crying shame really even though it gets thrown in the back of a Land Rover.Whilst Im on about Land Rover's I may be buying my wife's Police land Rover in April saving me a small fortune...he he !

clanchief

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks

I clean my bolt between every shoot though. But then again im abit of a fanatic when it comes to cleaning firearms (except barrels) i dont deassemble it though, just clean of the powder residue.

I also wipe the gun with a oily rag between shoots, just to calm my "rust fears"

That nitrosolvent doesnt look good for anything imo, the last times ive cleaned my barrel ive done it with wd40 and the bore snake alone

KAT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.