Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a bullet catcher. I figures sand would be easy, cheap, and quiet substance to use. I'm thinking of making it 2-3ft tall and 3ft deep. I would think 3ft of sand would be plenty to stop a 22. What do you think?

·
Registered
364 Posts
A foot of sand should be enough... I don't like to use sand anymore, just too messy. I use a steel backstop/trap for rimnfires and a dirt berm on my big backyard 200 yard range.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
more than enough

A 3 foot packed snowball will stop a 22 magnum. I bet 12" of sand would stop a 22lr or a magnum.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A milkjug full of sand will stop a 22LR. Don't know about Magnums or Stingers though.

P.S. I'd try it outside first though. I guess the kind of sand might have an affect.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think fine sand will blow away on you. Rember, bild it MUCH bigger tahn you need in case you pull or something happens. 3 feet is pretty small.

Also, make sure firing where you are is legal. It sounds like you have, but just a reminder.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point. I'm not completly sure it is legal to shoot here. I know people do shoot around here but that doesn't mean anything. Is there a site i can go to to find out, how do i find this out?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Call or visit the local police station. Our neighbor did it and they said.... "Just don't let me see it and you'll be OK" He took that to mean illegal and doesn't do it. be careful who you talk to an the manor in which they speak.

·
Premium Member
Gunsmithing 10/22's and 77/22"s since 1994 Phone 1-860-343-0552
1,329 Posts
Yep, Elkein is right, one foot is more than enough for .22 rimfire... I use a washed white sand available at any home supply center for $3 a bag... I have a heavy steel military ammo can... At first I used about a foot of dirt, but it dryed out and caused a dust cloud when fired into... Changed to 1.5 bags of washed white store bought sand, I covered the sand 100% with several layers of old bath towels... The towels reduce sand dust by 98%... I shoot indoors through towels into sand... Most spent .22 rimfire bullets are to be found less than 2 inches down... I checked to see if the towels might catch on fire or smother, they never have, its worked safely for years... I know fired bullets are hitting spent lead in the sand and creating large globs of lead, but I never clean it, its safe, someday finding a legal way to dispose of this lead/sand mess is up to my heirs...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Of course like I mentioned before, a big hunk of lead plate works excelent too, it just absorbs rimfire bullets, if it gets too distorted melt it down, then it's as good as new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.