Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellows,

I have a chance to buy a Winchester Model 1890 in .22 WRF, manufactured in 1911. The wood and metal are original finish and very good and the bore is bright and shiny. Mechanical functioning is fine. Looks like the front and rear sights have been replaced with those proper for a Model 62. The asking price is about $950. Sounds like a lot to me. I thought I'd offer $800. What do you all think?

Hossfeathers :D

· Registered
1,514 Posts
model 90

H.F.- Original sights for these are pretty easy to find(I'd put a tang sight on it, anyway) but $950 does seem high without original sights. You could always tell the guy it's going to cost you $150 to find original sights for it-not far from the truth, more if you get a Lyman or Marbles tang-as justification for offering $800. On the other hand, nice 90's aren't easy to find and WRF ammo is now universally available. Doesn't hurt to bargain; he can only say no. Good luck-Asa

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Asa,

I always appreciate your answers. I just picked up two brand new in the box old stock Marble's tang sights marked W9 for the Model 1890 for a very good price. Also included were a Marble's sidelight disc and a snapshooter disc, also brand new. Sometimes one lucks out. Trouble is, now I have to find guns good enough to wear them.

Hossfeathers

· Registered
1,514 Posts
mod. 1890-sights, etc.

H.F.-sounds like you have a terrific candidate for at least one of those Marbles tang sights with the deluxe 90 whose barrel you want to change. I sympathize because I had a somewhat similar situation: last year (July, actually) my wife found and bought an 06 for my birthday.(God love her-two Christmases ago she got me a Python Elite) The 06 is a 90-95% rifle and came with a mounted WS marked Lyman 2A in mint condition along with a Lyman 5B combination front, also mint. Decided I wanted to shoot the rifle, so I carefully removed the Lymans and the Win. 30B rear-filled the slot with a blank-and put on a standard front and a well-used Lyman # 2 tang sight. Darn sights that came on it are worth as much as she paid for the rifle. Now I'm comfortable shooting it and I don't have to worry about marring the valuable sights. Like you, I guess I'll save them for a '90 or '06 that is admired, not fired(if I ever get something like that). Good luck with that rebarrel job. -Asa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.