Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
20,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea shooters,

when you go to shoot, test ammo, etc, how many diff guns do you take with you on any given day?? personally i like to concentrate on one at a time, but dont have to drive too far; 2 miles, to my buddies" place. will post pics soon of my range.

so, is it an arsenal thingee, with two tons of ammo, gun cases, etc, ?? make it worthwhile driving, waiting for a bench ?? a lot of us only have the one gun as we are just starting out and are NOT addicted YET. !!

· Registered
20,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Orgnoi1,

well lets say you have been cooped up all winter and a coupla buddies wanna go shoot and you have a bunch of ammo that has never been tried out in your gun, you have a new scope. what kinda mood does it take to get you shooting ?? nothing personal, as there are all kinds of things in a persons life that may prohibit a saturday of testing out new ammo.

· Registered
1,582 Posts
Unfortunatly I don't get much of a chance to go to just shoot and play around. When I did have the chance a couple of us would load up with, shotguns, rifles and pistols and make a day of it. It was great. How into to many leagues and going to different matches, no time to practice.

· Registered
1,284 Posts
it all depended on what my plans were...training? 3 guns...and all were for specific training excercises...

hunting? main hunting gun plus sidearm...

plinking? anywhere from 3-7, depending on weather and who else would be there.

I went out Sat(almost unbearable at over 100*, but took a big umbrella for shade...a friend drove me out to my place in the country, we strapped the beach umbrella to his pickup and sat in the bed and fired from my folding portable bench...

I did decent with my Mossberg bolt 22...hell to shoot LH, then cycle a RH bolt w/LH...but i plugged a few turtles adn scored well on paper @50 yds...I managed to fired 200 rds betweent he Mossy and my P22...he was really enjoying how quiet it is regardless of ammo type...

Then he pulled out something he had "talked about buying" some time ago...a chinese AK in FA...using ONE hand, I was able to controll 5-6rd bursts...what a joy to shoot something that throws the brass AWAY from you...even LH is was fun...

I did manage to fire a magfull RH from the P22...between he and I we ran about 250 rd thru the P22...most were Rem golden and Dynapoints, no malfunctions...he asked me why there was NO OIL on my pistol...I am at approx 20K rds(may be over by 50 or so) and no issues with the slide gap...I do have one mag that will no longer lock the slide open(but it could be my hicap mod), but no other issues...I also found that Aguila SE subsonic will now function in ths gun when they would not operate the slide last time I tried them(been several months and over 10K rds)...and the gun hadn't been cleaned in some time as well...thanks Bob for tearing it down and cleaning it for me last week! :D

· Registered
9 Posts
I always take two of each gun of each caliber I bring (ie 2-.22's, 2-.38's, 2-12 gauges, 2-8mm Mausers, etc.). That's so if any one gun malfunctions, I can keep shooting.

Once I went shooting with a pump 20 gauge and took a case of ammo. On the first shot, the extractor flew out and into oblivion. I had to use a stick to ramrod the spent shell out after each shot, or not shoot at all.

44henry

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Depends on how ambitious I am and how much time I think I will have to shoot.

Last time I had two handguns and six rifles. Only planned on shooting one handgun and five rifles and had 4 hours I figured. Didn't count on a 10-20 mile cross wind. Yuck.

I wanted to shoot my two .22's I've started USBR-ing with, two .17's and a .22 mag for the other matches, a pistol silouhete, a small group, and a fun shoot. I was bummed!

· Registered
187 Posts
RICOCHET said:
Orgnoi1,
what kinda mood does it take to get you shooting ?? nothing personal, as there are all kinds of things in a persons life that may prohibit a saturday of testing out new ammo.
Actually there is no mood that would stop me :t ... but as far as the amount of guns that really depends... if I only have an hour I take just one gun... or if I made some sort of mod on a gun I take the time to just mess with that one gun... if its a free for all... then between me, my gf, and her son it is possible to fit maybe a *couple* extra guns in the truck... =)

· Registered
1,708 Posts
I learned the hard way that its a good idea to have one rifle along that's dependable and pleasure to shoot to finish the session. Nothing worse than being out with a couple guns that malfunction and just don't seem to shoot well and have a frustrating day at the range--or out in the countryside. (A sick semi-auto can drive a guy to distraction.)

By the way, my CZ 458 is the go to rifle for dependability.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Last winter I went to a new indoor range to test fire a bunch of guns that I worked on.I didn't feel like going to my club and shoot outdoors in 5 degree weather and 2 feet of snow.So I paid the $ 15.00 fee and brought in 2 at a time.While I was there,the local police force was there using the range watching me going in and out with all these guns.They were giving me the strangest looks.Maybe next time I'll only bring 2.

· Registered
187 Posts
ken w. said:
Last winter I went to a new indoor range to test fire a bunch of guns that I worked on.I didn't feel like going to my club and shoot outdoors in 5 degree weather and 2 feet of snow.So I paid the $ 15.00 fee and brought in 2 at a time.While I was there,the local police force was there using the range watching me going in and out with all these guns.They were giving me the strangest looks.Maybe next time I'll only bring 2.
Confusion and Jealousy was probably the only reason...LOL

You should have dropped a few cards saying that if they needed some minor work done on personal stuff to give ya a call...LOL

You could have gotten a bunch of cash just in cleaning police guns...LOL

· Registered
1,764 Posts
Gun nut

I've been a bonifide "Gun-Nut" for over 30 years and can say without fear of contradiction that AT LEAST 100 guns of nearly all types have passed thru my hands in that time. Most of which were milsurp military rifles. So my usual M/O is to take out whatever milsurp I'm currently playing with, and bring a .22 to "round out" the shooting session.
I live in a rural area and my "range" is an old shale pit about 2 miles from home. Just informal plinking at stationary clay pigeons and random targets left by other shooters (which I ALWAYS pick up when I leave).

· Registered
2,788 Posts
Wow

Lets see ....

Little river - Rifle range .....

222Rimed Martini , 300Win Mag , 50Cal Smoke Pole , 308 , :confused:

Yeah depends on what I was trying to do , but never less than 3 to Little River , as it was a good 1 hour drive , so had to make the most of it .....

Also depends on what was owned at the time .....

Currently only have 2 x .22Rimfires , so take both to the range .......

· Registered
10,095 Posts
It usually depends on these factors in this order:
1. How much time do I have
2. What do I want to accomplish - what is my goal

I never have to wait for a bench. I have been going to the same shooting range for 30 years. I know the woman who owns it, her daughter and her grandaughter - all of whom work there. I usually don't even go inside and check in and pay. I usually do so afterwards when I know how many guns I have actually shot. It's good to be a regular!

To say 'usually', meaning more than any other times without question it is shooting .22's. I never take less than 2 though I may take 2 rifles and 2 or 3 barrels.

I usually have a goal - testing ammo in a barrel, checking how some modification has changed an existing gun, swapping parts between guns or whatever. I am constantly looking for the best mix of changable major parts (barrel, receiver group, trigger group, stock) after all the little stuff is done.

I have found after swapping a LOT of barrels that a certain barrel just shoots better after swapping it to another receiver/trigger/stock. Once I find the best combination, I generally try to keep those components together with the label of it's favorite load attached or inserted somewhere that I can see easily. As far as ammo amount, I have rimfire ammo separated into plastic carry boxes about the size of a 50BMG box. One for .22LR, hunting/plinking, one for .22LR match, one for .17HMR. I guess I'll have to get another one for .22HM2 here pretty soon. They probably hold 1,500 - 2,000 rounds each so I'd say I average that each trip.

Now on the other trips, it is still usually two or more. Whether pistols or rifles or whatever, I still have a goal, even if it is just practice. The only time that I take one is when I am shooting a hunting pistol. One gun, lots of loads.

With CF rifles, 2 or more allow me the opportunity to swap while the one just fired cools off. One thing I have learned is that when I do that I either take 2 rifles of the same caliber or in very different calibers. No need in shoving a 6mm into a .243 or .270 into a 7mm mag, you know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.