Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kit do you use?
Is bore-sighting always needed?

I never mounted my own scope before (other than an airgun or two). Always had a local shop mount and bore-sight. Thanks- steve

·
Registered
67 Posts
I DO. I start first by putting the scope in its mech.. center by counting clicks. The I mount the scope, isert my bushnell bore sighter in with the right spud. I then use burris inserts to bore sight my gun in.Then off to the range I go with bore sighter and inserts and ofcourse the gun. I try to sight in withe the inserts as close as I can and fine adjust as needed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Bore sighting by eye only

I put my rifle in a rifle rest, take out the bolt, sight through the bore to a 50yd target. If useing a semi-auto I put a narrow piece of mirror at a 45 degree angle into the reciever to accomplish this, Without moving the rifle I make the necesary adjustments to the scope to put the reticle on the bull, re-check through the bore. This methode has gotten me on paper every time, and if I make proper adjustments, right on in about 9 shots. I learned this methode useing 25yd with a M16 in the Army. 1 inch low at 25yd was good to 200.

·
Registered
618 Posts
To answer your question, yes...

each and every one -- that are manually boresightable. Semi autos are boresighted at the range based on a 3 round group.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I do, but only because I have a Sweeney(sp) Line-A-Sight. Jack was the first I know of to make an optical one in the late 40s or 50s. His smithing shop was near here and my dad had bigger machines they used to make proto types.

This unit is from the 60s and I am to young to know the whole history of bore sighters.

Using it allows one to know how far off the mounting is and if there is a need for inserts/shims or not.

To date I have never needed inserts but I have contacted scope manufacturers to see what the adjustment limits were.

I believe in them and use one. The bore sight along with the one shot sight in method gets one very close very fast. One shot.

·
Registered
505 Posts
On my bolt rifles, I just pull the bolt out and sight down the barrel until I can find a B-C fluorescent orange 2" diameter sticker at 50 yards. Without moving the rifle, I then adjust the reticle so that it lines up on the circle. Works like a charm, and costs less than 5¢.

Zirc

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I do mine with a Bushnell Professional bore sighter kit....BUt I go thru a lot of glass and do friends and hobby gunsmithing.....I have the lapp bar kits, ring turn in tools and alignment rods and gunsmith screwdrivers to let me do the job correctly........for just the normal type use I'd spend the money for a good gunsmith to mount the scope and boresight it........as the others state with a bolt action or single shot many can be sighted real good with a fixed rest and looking thru the bore.......good luck and good shooting!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.