Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Browning Buckmark Bullseye Target Stainless on order since October of last year. Numerous calls to Browning give less than satisfactory answers. It usually amounts to "this gun is on backorder and should be shipped in the next two months."

How long should I expect to wait for this pistol? Is this usual? I've searched gun shops far and wide and can't find this particular Buckmark, or many others for that matter.

Has anyone had any luck finding this pistol?

Thanks.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've had a Browning Buckmark Bullseye Target Stainless on order since October of last year. Numerous calls to Browning give less than satisfactory answers. It usually amounts to "this gun is on backorder and should be shipped in the next two months."

How long should I expect to wait for this pistol? Is this usual? I've searched gun shops far and wide and can't find this particular Buckmark, or many others for that matter.

Has anyone had any luck finding this pistol?

Thanks.
I'd be pissed myself. That's too long. I don't know if this is exactly the model you were looking at, but here's a bullseye target with a stainless fluted 7.25" barrel:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=100067802

·
Registered
261 Posts
Their ditribution seems to go in spurts. A fairly large, well-stocked shop by me had nearly one of every model 1.5-2yrs back. Last time I was there, they had zero Buckmarks.

I had purchased a Bullseye Target model from Gunbroker (blued model) after it was discontinued. Got a great price on it, too. It's a shame the new ones aren't easier to come by.

I recommend them highly to new Bullseye shooters - only to stand there dumbfounded when the person asks me "which of the A, B, C local shops can I handle a new one at?". Then it's "well, they've got every Ruger MKIII model there..." Guess that's why all the newbies are shooting Rugers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ruger,

Yes that's the model I was looking for. I kind of gave up on gunbroker as none had been available for quite a while. Nor did any of the other places I contacted, both locally and on the internet have one.

Tooltime,

I'm trying to get it from a local dealer. They've been reliable before and have been in contact with me sharing the frustration on getting one in.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Browning's normal operating procedure is to catalog anything they think will sell. They will eventually make a run of them and offer them up. When they are gone they may or may not make a run again but it stays in the catalog until they absolutely decide to not make it again. They sell all their guns with waiting lists for popular models so they have no incentive to change their methods. They get fat and happy and we suffer from desires that never get appeased.

I too waited for months and months several years ago for a A-Bolt that never came. I bought a CZ instead. I have never been sorry.

I did luck out on my Buckmark Contour. A dealer I buy from occassionally had one in his display case. He set aside when I phoned to ask for the specific Contour I wanted and held it for the week until I could get away to travel the 70 miles to his shop. I was not disappointed. The gun looked as good as the Browning site pictures. After some personal messaging (overtravel screw in the trigger, a trigger job, and a red dot sight) the gun is superb. But it was pure luck.....from seeing it on the Browning site for the first time to buying it was less than a week! I was meant to have that gun!

If you really want that gun just sit and wait. It may come up or may not. Keep after your dealer and Browning so you know the status (right or wrong). OR buy something else that is just as good. There are other choices! I have a used Belguim made Challenger that is twice the gun for fit and finish of any Buckmark that you can find for a few dollars more. The Belguim made Challenger is the grand daddy of the Buckmark for design and appearance.

LDBennett

·
Registered
53 Posts
Judging from available quantities I've seen at the distribution level, Browning appears to make things in batches. For example, I never see several models available, but one week they may have 30 Contours in stock, or 30 Campers, but never are they both in stock at the same time.

Marlin used to (and maybe still does?) manufacture this way. At any given time, their factory was/is dedicated to one specific model, and that's all that's produced for a given period of time. If you want something specific, it seems you have to wait for the right timing, which means constantly checking the availability.

Buckmarks seem really hard to come by right now, and with the price of centerfire ammo going through the roof, there is a renewed attraction to these pistols. Heck, I was never much of a rimfire guy, but I have been lately on the simple premise that SOME trigger time is better than NONE AT ALL! I know a lot of shooters that have come around just the same as I.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought a Camper SS at Sportsman's Warehouse today on my lunch hour. 317 out the door. Had two in stock and one non-SS in stock. All same price.

I really wanted a Hunter, but I can't wait that darn long (if they every arrive).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Question: Can a scope mount be installed on those models not already having an integral scope mount? I have been looking for the "hunter" model because it does have the integral scope mount - if I can install scope mount , my choices go up 300% - If a scope mount can be installed, does it have to be one made specifically for the Buckmark? Thanks.

Pete

·
Registered
940 Posts
Pete, that is the true beauty of these pistols. This is my 1985 standard model bought used with it's added aftermarket barrel and sight rail. The TacSol rail shown also has a rear sight. If, you don't need/want the rear sight there are several choices that do a fine job. They are specific to the Buck mark in that they use the stock front and rear mounting screws so, no drilling tapping required. Find one and drive on! Regards

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yeah, I lusted after a Target Stainless for a month or so, and then gave up on ever finding one and 'settled' for a stainless URX Standard. Put a Weigand mount and red dot on it and never looked back. It has turned out to be an outstanding pistol, and I'm glad I went for it. If you are interested, there are 3 currently in stock at R&R Arms: http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G051409490

They may have other models in stock as well. Give 'em a look. Good luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up Shooter - I may also have to settle for a 5.5" as well. Since I'm not a hunter, I've been wondering what the difference is in the extra 1.75", maybe just velocity, eh?

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buckmark Availability

I asked my local dealer to find one. It took him about fifteen minutes of calling around to find it and I have a 7.25" Target Stainless in hand. This was two weeks ago.

I don't know where he got it, but, the selling dealer was DJ's Loan and Sport in Bothell, Washington.

Bob

·
Registered
672 Posts
Either I got lucky or a batch hit the market. I bought a Micro URX for a lot less locally than even Bud's gets for them. At the same time another very large dealer 50 miles from here got their shipment.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Finally found the "Hunter" yesterday at the Nashville Bass Pro Shops, that's the one the 7.25" bbl and integral scope mount - I should have it by the end of this week. I ordered 2 mags, three should be a good starting point.

Pete

·
Registered
200 Posts
Finally found the "Hunter" yesterday at the Nashville Bass Pro Shops, that's the one the 7.25" bbl and integral scope mount - I should have it by the end of this week. I ordered 2 mags, three should be a good starting point.

Pete
I did the same thing with the same gun (Hunter model) about a month ago. You won't be disappointed. Who needs the extra glitz of the Bullseye Target model for an additional $200?

-- Sam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.