Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to clean my barrel. should i remove the barrel from the action and clean from the breech to muzzle or buy to crown protector deal for cleaning and clean from the muzzle to breech with out removing the barrel from the action? :confused: thanks!!!!! :Blasting_ :Blasting_ :Blasting_

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
You should get an Otis cleaning cable (go ahead and get a kit) or a Patchworm.
In my experience a rod down the muzzle is much more cumbersome than a pull through system. A boresnake will also work fine.

Many around here, including me, will not use a metallic brush in the bore, so if you get a boresnake you may want to decide for yourself if you want to take the brush off.

You can take the barrel out if you want, but thats also a hassle compared to a pull through. Not to mention you will have to rezero your scope.
Another alternative is to drill a hole in the rear of the reciever on axis with the bore, take the bolt assembly out, and just stick the rod through that hole.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
i use the otis cable on mine too..... just hold the bolt open with the bolt stop and take out your magazine an run the cable through the ejection port an down the bore from the breech end, i don't use a brush on my bore either.......just soak a patch in hoppes ...follow with dry patches till dry then an oil filled patch out keep the bore rust free.......

·
Registered
211 Posts
no brush?

I have read about guys not useing a brush, but i always wonder how you get your bore clean? I have always used a brass brush and never had any problems. After the bore is broke in good a few swipes with the brush and then some solvent on a patch, and then oil and its nice and clean, but maybe im missing something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cleaning bores

I use an Otis cable and I also have a carbon fiber rod. The carbon fiber rod is very cumbersome. I prefer the Otis cable. I use a boresnake on my marlin modle 60ss with no problems and it has a brass/copper brush on it. I have not braved up to use it in my expensive barrels. I also like the Otis cable because it all fits in a small round case and travels well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
gunguy said:
I have read about guys not useing a brush, but i always wonder how you get your bore clean?.
I don't use a brush. Ever. Getting it clean is simple...I use a length of weedwhacker line to pull a few patches thru. We're talking about .22 here...worst case scenerio is that there is some wax and powder in the barrel :) Centerfire is another story, I use a brush for that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I took the brushes out of a boresnake. I don't actually know if its safe or not to use a brush. Seems to be a lot of disagreement on that area. I took the brushes out, this way I know I can't ruin my barrels. It works good for me.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
There's a lot of arguement on whether or not metallic brushes are bad for the bore.

I personally think they're not all that bad. They will contribute a tiny bit, but for some guns you need them to get the bore completely clean.

Since it may add wear and getting my .22lr really clean is not hard at all without a brush, i choose not to use one.
I have found that if I use my Otic cable and make sure the patches are very snug all the lead pulls right out on the first pass.

I just bought a phosphor bronze brush for my .308Win. As much as I dont like the idea of potentially adding wear, I just cant get all the crud out with nylong brushes and patches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.