Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a volquartsen cantilever scope mount and burris sig zee rings high, a wtc 18 6.5x20x50. With lense cap off I have a 1/4" gap between the bell and the barrel. I know the closer the better and was wondering if med mounts would be a better option or if they would be too low thanks in advance Trigger

·
Registered
664 Posts
If your scope cover fits....

that's all the clearance you need -- on a rimfire that is.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses took it out for the first time today! shoots one hole 10 shot groops all day long without strain at 25 yards. 6" high happy with that but undecided or unsure about what to do. Will lower rings bring the group down? I am under the understanding that if its not with in 3" I should not use elevation or windage settings, should adjust scope mountings I have the offset kit for the sig zee rings but would rather replace mounts with lower ones if this would get me closer without haveing to use them, this would also get the scope closer to the barrel. The measurement of a 1/4" is correct + some, barrel to bell measurement I think if I can remember math class from 25 years ago 1/4"=.250" I think as said I may have enough space but I dont trust my math and would like to get some advice from someone with the same set up or who has better math skills than I.
.920 vq carbon fiber barrel
Fajen thumb hole stock
wtc18 scope
Burris sig zee rings high
vq target trigger
vq hammer
vq extracter
vq firing pin
vq cantilever scope mount
Most of the tips and tricks!
Many thanks Trigger

·
Registered
112 Posts
You don't use lower rings or a shorter base because your groups are too high. You do it so you can get a better cheek weld on the stock, or to keep your head down under the flying bullets of the enemy, or to reduce the parallax between the scope and the barrel. Besides, if that were the case, lowering the rings would raise the barrel and make your groups even higher.

If you can't adjust the scope to hit dead center without coming close to bottoming out, then go ahead and use the offset inserts for the rings. That's what they're for. I would only suggest you change the rings or base if you're uncomfortable with the height of the scope as you mount the rifle,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Craigz! Makes sence to me, keep the high rings and dodge the bullets. The set up seems good as far as fit goes I dont recall haveing any trouble getting on target and didnt think about lower rings changeing my head placement or the way I place my cheek on the stock. This is my first time trying to set up a scope the right way before finding all this good info and great people willing to share it, I would just toss the scope on and crank it in.
Thanks for the heads up!
Trigger

·
Registered
664 Posts
If you want to bring the scope down...

try the Millett receiver mounted one piece 10/22 base. If sighted in with scope settings at neutral and properly adjusted eccentric inserts, you should be within an inch of point of aim at 25 yds. From there on you can make the fine adjustments with the scope's internals.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Old Corps Joe! That confirms what I did last night, ditched the cantilever and put on a vq reciever mount that brought it down some do you know if the millet base is lower than vq? I am building a second 10/22 and will try the millet base on that one. where are they sold? what is a good bore sighter for the 10/22 most seem to be for center fires? I know this is alot of ????????? I was not a big scope person when I was younger shot well with iron sights but now that I am useing them more I regret what I was missing! Thank you Trigger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.