Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

How can you tell a birch or walnut stock.

1773 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  ShootNut
I thought I could tell by how much grain a stock has but as I learned in my other post that is not the case.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Walnut heartwood can be exceptionally light, and with stain, will look like a much more expensive piece of walnut and can still be called walnut. CZ uses a lot of heartwood for that reason.

I've not seen that much grain or marbleing in birch and would suspect you do have a walnut stock, abet a very light colored one.

Guess it really should not matter, with a nice finish, that one will be beautiful!

· Registered
4,871 Posts
I have seen some pretty nice birch stocks. With a lot of dark grain, curl and stripe with some stain you couldnt tell the difference between it and walnut. That looks like a carbine stock, just check the serial number and see when that rifle was made, that should tell you what it is. The only reason I questioned it in the other thread was because it was a carbine stock with stain on it. It's been what 30 years since Ruger used walnut, and I dont remember any of them having stain on them. And usally walnut doesnt get blochy when you strip the finish off of it.

· Registered
2,236 Posts
By looking at those two stocks, I'd be convinced the upper was Birch and the bottom Walnut. Ruger only made stocks out of those two woods. The year of manufacture would seal the decision. I've never seen Birch with grain like the bottom stock, and visa versa.
Don

· Registered
836 Posts
mac57t said:
I thought I could tell by how much grain a stock has but as I learned in my other post that is not the case.
mac57t,

Birch is a light colored wood and is much lighter in weight. Walnut is just the opposite. It's darker and much heavier in weight/dense wood type material.
You can take both stocks and weight them. They should be different.

wmrimfire,22

· Registered
4,871 Posts
JAMES WHITTEN said:
I have just finished a factory stock that was maple without a doubt.A post above stated that they only made them out of walnut and birch??
James, If memory serves me right there was a brief time in between walnut and birch that maple was used. They can be scarce and not everyone has seen one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.