Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've never used one before, but from what I've seen on here they're not the best. If you get lucky and get a good one, they're ok. IIRC they're actually a steel liner wrapped in plastic and have a bad habit of not being straight. If you want a CF barrel, try a VQ THM. Or if money is an issue, take a look at some of WFMB barrels, the best value for the money.

WFMB

·
Registered
196 Posts
Take it from me. I bought a carbon barrel combo with a synthetic stock. The look and weight are exceptional, except the one very important thing, accuracy. The barrel did a bang left, bang right, and I can never group them. Therefore, I called Butler Creek and they were very nice about it and replaced it with another one but the problem was the same. I finally paid $20 more to get the flutted steel version. I have not try the steel barrel yet, hopefully it will be sunny soon so I can try it out.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The Volquartsen and Magnum Research carbon fiber/graphite barrels are "tensioned:" tightly bound with fibers to assure strength and stiffness.

Not the Butler Creek. It is just "sleeved" with a carbon fiber (?) outer layer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Please listen to the experience posted here. The price and description of the Butler Creek "carbon fiber" tensioned barrel makes it look very enticing.

Tensioned barrels are a wonderful development, and some are quite amazing examples of well executed technology. The key phrase is well executed. The ability of a tensioned barrel to act like a standard heavy barrel that it resembles relies entirely on its rigidity. The rigidity of the barrel comes entirely from the stiffness of the outer sleeve into which the steel barrel liner and its bushings at each end are placed. The Butler Creek barrels tend to suffer from a lack of rigidity, or stability of that sleeve. Under use, transport and movement, the sleeve seems to allow movement between itself and the steel components. Not good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It doesn't look like many others on here like them, but I love mine. All i have to say is under 3/4 @ 75 yards. Thats plenty accurate for tree rats and thats all mine gets used for. When I'm just shooting I have another 10/22 with the factory Ruger bull barrel that will just leave a 5 shot ragged hole @ 100 yards so when accuracy counts it is my choice over the carbon fiber. Several local guys didn't think that either of my 10-22 could be this accurate until they shot them so maybe I just got rrreeeeeaaaaaaalllllyyyyyyyy lucky buying what I did when I did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.