Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

hornady / vs / federal ??

1041 5
yea guys, will be needing to order some ammo soon and since i have never tried the hornady v-max, am wondering how they compare to the federal
v-shok ammo, generally, accuracy wise. same price, diff color tip ??

anyone tried both at say 100 yds ?? any diff in accuracy out of your bbl??

thanks all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Haven't tried Federal, but have used 2 kinds of Hornady, (normal and half a case of "first production run") CCI, and Eley in mine.

Eley is definately slightly better in both guns I have tried it in... and the blue tips are sexy.... :)

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I've tried Hornady vs CCI. No Federal to be found around here yet. In my rifle, the CCI clobbers the Hornady, no contest. Groups at 100 yards are over 1.5'' with the Hornady, and not only bigger groups, but they fall over an inch below the CCI 100 yard zero, so the velocity has got to be lower quite a bit. The CCI brand consistantly cuts sub one inch groups, with an average of just over 3/4'' for five shot groups at 100 yards. I've actually shot a couple of honest 1/2'' groups at 100 yards when the wind is calm with the CCI, but I can't get the Hornady under a half inch at 50yards. I wish it would, Hornady's cheaper around here.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've tried Hornady, CCI, Federal , Remington and Eley. The Eley then Hornady shoots the best out of my rifle. I don't shoot the CCI at all any more, I had a few blown cases in the begining. Waiting for Sketter to get his resulst of the barrel he is having made with a different twist rate.

Teaus

·
Registered
282 Posts
Only tried, Hornady and CCI so far.

They were both about the same in my Marlin, and were good. I'm moving to the 100 yard range for some better testing.

I'll get mine from Cabela's $59.99 and includes a ammo box. I'm also getting a spotting scope in the same order. :t

·
Registered
271 Posts
Rimfire rifles varry in what brand ammo shoots best in a given rifle. Get a box of various brands and test the ammo in your rifle, shooting off a good bench rest at 50 and 100 Yds. Different brands using the 17 Gr. V-MAX will not shoot the same in some rifles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.