Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys Ive ive been really wanting to build a 22lr rifle and possibly a pistol.
Anyone have any ideas, or plans? I will be using a tight match chamber as I already have the reamer so I will probably have to incorporate an extractor.
So far I figure id probably need to come up the a trigger like a rem 700 trigger and reverse engineer from there, possibly a 1911 hammer or something . Any recommendations on design, or quality parts are appreciated. I was guessing that aftermarket extractors for the 10/22 or mkii would probably be good. I have not been able to find anything online and there were a few recommendations for book with 100 year old rifle designs but i dont think thats what im after.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Robbor, I have a heap of plans , blueprint Pm me for further info if you need it

there are some very good modern falling block designs and flobert style designs that are easy to make for the home builder and reliable in usage.

cheers

jack

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guns

Thanks guys, the rest of the net has nothing on this forum.
I have been looking at the same barrel but at e-gunparts and $5 more.
Also supposedly clark has some ruger mark ii 6" tapered SS takeoffs for $10 each, but their takeoff bulls are real pricey.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Don't you need permission from the BATFE to build a rifle or pistol reciever???:(
No, not if it's for your own personal use and you never sell it. Sell or transfer it and you're in trouble.

Also check your state laws on such things.

I'd think the easiest way would be to build a single-shot bolt action. On many old guns, the barrel and receiver were all one piece, with the breech end reamed out for the bolt. Start with a barrel of suitable diameter and it should be relatively simple to accomplish.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
No, not if it's for your own personal use and you never sell it. Sell or transfer it and you're in trouble.

Also check your state laws on such things.
My understanding, back when researching AK builds, is that it can be given to a family member when you pass.

If it's a "one time" deal, you can also mark the receiver with a unique marking of some sort (serial number) and it can be sold--but if you do this to a handful of firearms, you could be mistaked as a "manufacturer" and would need a license, or a free trip to club fed.

Again, I'm not certain...just remember reading it somewhere.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gun plans

well so far I have not found what im looking for. I drew up a couple of rough incomplete plans. One for a pengun type design and the other is a combination of bolt and twist breech. Im looking for something that is more lathe work than mill work, as I dont have full access to a mill but once in a blue moon. The pen type design im not wild over has a screw off barrel so im still looking and thinking.

My understanding, which will be clarified in writing through BATF is:
You can build your own gun, does not need to be registered, unless it is controversial type. I believe pen guns require a $5 fee, but no idea on what defines a pengun. Homemade guns cannot be made with the intent to sell, but somehow they can be made and sold, im guessing there is paperwork involved. BATF suggests all inquiries be submitted in writing and they will respond in writing. I also recall that the gun does not need a serial number.

·
37,283 Posts
I have always wanted a smaller scale Winchester High Wall or Farhquarson (looks a lot like a Ruger #1) single shot. Even a DeHaas Chickopee would be fun to build.

Years ago there was a company called Falling Block Works that sold just High Wall style actions in 3 or 4 sizes. Would love to find one of the small ones. Would make a lovely 22 Hornet or a rimfire.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Vincent my mate here makes them but he is not allowed to export I have sent robber some basic plans and chicopee details but have not heard anything back. Frank de Hass's book is wonderful and i have a mate here who swears he will make a chicpee RF with a stock feed... problem is he just may be able to do it!!

·
37,283 Posts
I actually talked to the old gentleman that makes the Falling Block Works actions. Turns out they are still being made. They are sold by someone else and you can only contact them by letter.:eek: :) :bthumb:

·
Registered
235 Posts
From talking to an ATF agent years ago.

You can legally make a firearm for yourself. I would do this and serial number it just to be sure. After it is used and over a year old, it can be sold. You can not make another identical firearm to the first one and repeat that cycle of events without applying for a manufacturer license. However, you can make one that is obviously different and do it again. Example: one a rolling block, the next a falling block, then a bolt action... You get the idea.

You would certainly be wise to not make more than one firearm a year. I also would stick to rifles and not start making pistols to do this with. And I would stick with designs that are not semi automatic.

Here is the bad part: every ATF agent will likely have a different interpretation of the law, so you can find yourself in deep and fast. And fighting the government is not an easy task. Ask Randy Weaver about that one.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jack404

Im here just got done with a batch of final exams, I had engineering tonight.
I really like the pistol that looked like the TC contender but with more style:bthumb: . The other one, chicopee, looked like about every part needed to be milled and then a little welding for the attachemnt to the barrel. I dont have anything to weld ss, and would rather not weld to the barrel. I have some lathe experience and a lathe at home, and i did some milling at school this last semester, but we are not allowed to make weapons, and im trying:p to abide by that. I had a question on the chicopee for ya, ill have to look back at it to ask.
I was also thinking of a tbolt type design today, but have yet to put anything on paper. Im thinking of a round and threaded type action but locking lugs are throwing me, I was looking up boraching stuff, but seems like to much expense. Im still looking and thinking.

·
Registered
736 Posts
way back before the world went nutz i had a old beat up double break barrel .22 that came as part of a deal ( it was the take this too bit). the break action was worn to death and the old brazing was cracking.

i turned this into a flobert copy with a industrial hacksaw and some sheet parts.

Yes idealy you need a mill and lathe to build a chicopee but thers a easier way

get a green mountian barrel and fitting and fit that to the main frame yes the fitting needs to be machined or welded but thats about all a good drill machine ( bench drill) and vice will do 95% and the rest can be done with a file and a visit to a plasma cutting shop.

At a gun build i visited in Arizona in 2005 a guy arived on a motor cycle with a small trailer and set up 2 benches and tools and a small gen set and started making colt 45's... you dont need that much..

i have what US folks call a hanrob gas welding system

it welds anything with practice
aluminium to stainless and mild steels
stainless to mild

but do practice i did not get anything resembling a good weld for at least the first 50 hours of trying and 200 of watching the training videos

now i do not use another welder at all

cheers

jack

to make a decent weapon to be proud of and use safely and continuously material needs require lathes and mills, however if youve ever read Luty's works i suggest you look at his second book, the all hardware peices are brilliant and i was able to build and fire one in Russia on a vist there.

·
37,283 Posts
Dehaas designed the Chicopee to be done with a drill press and files for the most part if I remember right. Several of his later designs were conceived with the garage gunsmith in mind.

Single shot rifles fascinate me. Not bolt action single shots but Falling blocks, rolling blocks, swinging blocks and to a much lesser degree break open.

Back it the 70's I got to shot a bunch of Gibbs, Jeffery's, Holland and Holland and several other of the fine English single and doubles. The singles were mosly variations on the Farhquarson as are the Ruger #1 and the beautiful Dakota #10 rifles. Also shot the smallest and the largest of the Martinis. Nothing beats that graceful Farhquarson design though:rolleyes: ;)

Wish I could afford one now:rolleyes: :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.