Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Home Brew - lead remover

707 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  jeff423
I've bought a HS M-102 Trophy with the 8" barrel and muzzle brake. Apparently the original HS tool for removing the lead build up in the brake is long gone. The gun is in transit to me right now so I haven't seen the lead build up in the brake but the PO said it was substantial. Bullseye shooters on another forum have stated that they use a 50/50 mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide/white vinegar. It sounds ugly. My question here is has anyone ever used this combo - is it safe to use this mix and will this be harmful to the finish let alone my few remaining brain cells.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,276 Posts
Try Wipe out aersol foaming stuff

20-20 concepts sells the stuff, a rimfire central advertiser.

What ya do is you shake the bejievers outa the can to get it good an pressurized (dosent foam as well when not shaken to begin with) and squirt it in the barrel. It will foam up and ooze out both ends.

Let it sit for a couple hours

Then clean it out and then use some good protectant because it will take all the oil out of the steel.

Regards,
Cranky

· Registered
9,420 Posts
Home Brew

I and a bunch of my friends have been using Ed's Red SANS ACETONE ever since he invented it waaaaaaaaay back.

Very effective and inexpensive.

You can "google" it and see the ingredients and mix.

Only thing I ever saw using Peroxide was "Moose Milk" which is equal parts Rubbing Alcohol, Hydrogen Peroxide and Murphy's Oil Soap and has been used for black powder like forever. Gotta plug the nipple or flash hole thought and then let it sit for awhile. Works great on BP.

noremf(George)

· Registered
3,796 Posts
I've bought a HS M-102 Trophy with the 8" barrel and muzzle brake. Apparently the original HS tool for removing the lead build up in the brake is long gone. The gun is in transit to me right now so I haven't seen the lead build up in the brake but the PO said it was substantial. Bullseye shooters on another forum have stated that they use a 50/50 mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide/white vinegar. It sounds ugly. My question here is has anyone ever used this combo - is it safe to use this mix and will this be harmful to the finish let alone my few remaining brain cells.
Be careful with it overall--vinegar WILL remove bluing---not sure if it will in conjunction with Hy. peroxide, but vinegar had been my go to for removing bluing for a few years now.

· Registered
156 Posts
The hydrogen peroxide / vinegar solution converts the lead to lead acetate which can be absorbed through the skin. And it's been rumored to attack mild steel barrels along with removing any bluing.
One last point - now that you have the lead in solution, how are you going to dispose of it?
I never worried about leading in a 22 RF but then again I never had one with a muzzle brake. For centerfire handguns I use copper scrubber pads wound on an old brush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.