Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I bought one but never got around to using/testing it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey man thanks for the reply could you please try it out within the next couple days and send me a reply even if you couldn't shoot the bullets just see how the tool works on them also since you haven't used it would you be interested in selling it thanks

treeratkilla8

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have one of these hollow point tools also. It works well on solid point ammo and it also increases the opening on already hollow pointed ammo.

I didn't really notice any difference in shooting this ammo over other HP ammo. However I have only shot at paper so far. Accuracy did not seem to go up or down.

If you think one day you may only have access to solid point ammo, or would need to create your own HPs then its a pretty good thing to have. I personally find HP ammo everywhere I look so from a practical standpoint I really don't use my tool. But I'm keeping it non the less.

FWIW - it does make a pretty impressive HP. Much bigger than those normally found on all the HP ammo I've seen. IIRC the closest HP in size was in Win. Dynapoints.

Regards,

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Hi treeratkilla8,

Ooops!, I don't know how I missed your reply question? Yes, the tool works great on solids. Rob62, are you joking comparing the hollow point this tool makes to the little joke of a dimple that's found on most Winchester Dynapoints (are you sure you weren't referring to Winchester X-perts instead?). I could make a larger hollow point using a sharp soft lead tipped pencil (without any danger of breaking off the tip either!) than that joke of a hollow point that's found on most Dynapoints. :D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Petey,

I *thought* that the ammo with the big factory HP were Dynapoints. In fact it may not have been. I do remember it being some type of Winchester bulk pack. You are probably right about it being Winchester X-perts.

I primarily use Federal bulk pack now (as is), and don't look back.

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Hi Rob62,

It was probably the X-perts you were thinking of. Someone on one of the forums here posted a picture of the pathetic Dynapoint dimple (of course I can't find it now?) to show the difference. But I guess that's what makes the Dynapoint such a reliable (and favorite!) round, you don't have the problem with them of that big hollow point the X-pert has jamming up semi-autos.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
treeratkilla8

I have been using the hollowpointing tool made by Ron Allard Ent., RFD 2 - Box #47, Ware, MA 01082, for about three years, now.

It works.

Its various drill bits expand existing HPs and create three styles of different depth, just as advertised. It took me some time to familiarize the methodology of holding and drilling, but through trial-and-error I got there.

It is a bit like learning how to clip your own finger/tow nails, when growing up as a kid...and not have to rely on your parents to do it for you. Seems easy at first, but you hate the results, until experience makes the whole exercise automatic.

Make sure you understand the instructions, before making your first attempt at hollowpointing a solid. You may wish to begin with factory-HPs and see how it goes.

I have the Style B - 3/32" & 1/8" Expander Set. Here are the instructions printed on the blurb:

(Quote)
1) Pre-drill with smaller drill
2) Drill pre-drill hole with 1/8" drill
(Unquote)

My cardinal mistake, when I first got it and started toying with it, was to attempt to skip a drill bit hole and move up to the wider hollow tip size.

Just stick to the procedure

Also, avoid to push hard towards the rotating drill bit, especially when using the bigger drill bit. It will most certainly detach the projectile from its crimped base, ruining accuracy and risking secondary and highly undesirable effects. If a projectile gets loose, or deformed, dispose of it responsibly. Do not fire it, under any circumstances.

I repeat, use lots of common sense and read and re-read the instructions carefully until they make sense to you and you fully comprehend the use of the hollowpointer.

If you still have questions, sit on your hands and simply post a question here.

That's what RFC is all about.

Crete

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone very much for ur replys i will be sure and understand the instructions and never hestitate to post a question here ya'll are a great bunch of guys with wealths of info thanks again.

killa

·
Registered
227 Posts
I dont have the tool you speak of for this purpose so I've taken the Velocitor rnd and two drill bits in my portable drill to do the trick. The first bit is not much bigger than the original HP opening and is a pilot hole for the follow up with a 7/64 bit. I cant vouch for the grouping results at long range but it is definately just as accurate as a stock/untampered Velocitor at the same distance. The results on varmints?? Incredible. I shot a blue jay at about 30yds and the explosion of feathers told the story. Wouldnt expect much penetration such as with ****-sized critters as it appeared most of the energy was spent on target.

Perferator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.