Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Make no mistake about it , that little 17 cal. is a real groundhog gun. These hogs were taken with a 17 hmr from 90 yards to 160 yards. Until this year I was always a big fan of centerfire rifles for groundhog hunting but now am rapidly becoming a rimfire convert. It amazes me what that 17 grain bullet will do with a well placed head shot. Ill still tote my centerfire on those evening hog hunts but it will only be used for the long shots. Love my 17 HMR.

Gunpo

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow, Looks like quite a hunt. Just a few questions on the .17hmr; First of all what kind of rifle do you have? and second how much does the ammo cost and where can you buy it? Also what have you found is the max range of it? Thanks.

Todd McLaughlin

[email protected]

www.geocities.com/gunnut34/Home.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Todd,

My rifle is a 77/22 mag converted to 17 hmr with a green mntn. s.s. fluted barrel , volquartsen stock and dayton- traister trigger. The scope is a leupold 6.5 to 20 e.f.r. I bought my ammo from Cabelas at ten bucks a box. My longest shot was around 160 yards but i think the max range would be around 200 yards.

Later, Gunpo

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
its posts like these why we have the hunting forum. ;D I like the pic. :D

Dean_311

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Yep! looks like a good hunt.
Have taken a few hogs with
my 17, losts of fun.
Starlings are fun to if
you have a good backstop,
watch all the action in the
scope.

Goodluck & Goodshootin.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A friend of mine has a gun range where I took my 17 to air it out.After 10 rounds each at 200yds we sat back to enjoy a beverage or two and low and behold Mr whistle pig,s out for an evening stroll.A mad scramble to the rifle ensued which led to one dispatched hog at about 225yds!!With a eyewitness to boot!!It just dont get no bettern at.(exploding starlings do come a close second)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Nice pic TnBrad!!

Great shootin. I, too, was like you in that I hunted ghogs with either a 25-06 or 22-250. Although I have given up that 300+ yard shot.....what I have gained is a front-row seat to all of the action.....

.....that is from the viewing perspective of my rifles scope!!!

Those pretty little red-tipped bullets are something to behold...arent they!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.