Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Effective immediately, Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has made the decision to cease manufacturing operations at the company's Camp Minden, Louisiana site while evaluating strategic options for the black powder business.

The business will wind down operations while an evaluation process on the future of the black powder business takes place. Strategic options for the GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, along with the manufacturing capabilities, will include a potential sale of the business. All affected employees will be retained through December 31, 2021 to assist in an orderly closing of the site and receive severance commensurate with their years of service to the company.

The Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc has been honored to have been a part of the GOEX Powder legacy and sustains a fond appreciation for sporting customers who have enjoyed shooting GOEX powders.

About Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc.

Established in 1947 by Bruce and Amy Hodgdon, today, sons J.B. and Bob have grown Hodgdon Powder Company into the largest US supplier of smokeless, blackpowder and blackpowder substitute propellants. The company distributes gunpowder under the Hodgdon®, IMR®, Ramshot®, Acccurate®, Winchester®, Pyrodex®, Triple Seven®, Blackhorn 209® and GOEX® brands.

https://hodgdon.com/minden-closure/
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/hodgdon-closing-goex-plant.895518/

One more nail in my hobby coffin...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Sad, but It's all about Demand and Supply.

With the advent of BP substitutes, there is a very, very small group that utilizes/buys BP anymore.

In the last 15 yrs I have never met an individual that loaded BP in their muzzle-loader, it's always a BP substitute like Pyrodex, Triple Seven, or one of the others.

Craig...

·
Registered
998 Posts

With the advent of BP substitutes, there is a very, very small group that utilizes/buys BP anymore.

In the last 15 yrs I have never met an individual that loaded BP in their muzzle-loader, it's always a BP substitute like Pyrodex, Triple Seven, or one of the others.

Craig...
I disagree. All the traditional black powder shooters I know in Montana and Wyoming prefer the real black powder.

Also, the primary cause of the shutdown was the fire they had last Spring (June?). I suspect the decision to rebuild was purely a financial one.

Hopefully then can sell the plant to someone else, so they can continue production and compete with the two European manufacturers of black powder.

The substitutes work OK in modern in-lines, as well as some traditional percussion guns, but not in flintlocks. Also, the substitutes burn much hotter, contributing to barrels wearing out faster.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"The company distributes gunpowder under the Hodgdon®, IMR®, Ramshot®, Acccurate®, Winchester®, Pyrodex®, Triple Seven®, Blackhorn 209® and Goex."

Lots of Black Powder substituted on that list, I have been using 777.

Who else in the US makes Black Powder and Subtituted ?

·
Registered
13 Posts

Craig...
it is not about supply and demand ,they can sell every pound of powder they can make,and it is still very popular all the long range BP shooters use real BP!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The history of Goex goes back to a storied name in the modern chemical scene, you may have heard of them: Dupont Nemours? Dupont sold their old plant to Goex, after they decided they'd had enough of the occasional explosions levelling the place over more than a century. Goex moved the old PA plant to LA after it got well & truly blowed up and was written off; iirc, it took them over 2 years to even make a decision about rebuilding a new plant. [Sorry, don't know if Goex was part of Hodgdon at that point or not] The BP business is an inherently risky one, and with the ever-tightening regulations on shipment & storage of BP it's more difficult to compete with overseas suppliers, esp. as there is lots of YT videos & online resources for those independent sorts who figure they can make their own if they really need it.

Not saying this isn't bad news, just that not entirely unexpected, esp. given the antipathy of the current occupant of the Oval Office for all things, you know, legal & proper for Americans to own & enjoy without govt. interference...

Meanwhile, Swiss BP is looking at a sales windfall! Maybe this will prod enterprising soul to bring back Elefant powder [or a similar marketing effort?]

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Sad to hear, but everything changes; we just have to adapt.

Reminds me of stories I've read about powder manufacture in the 1800's. When a plant blew up, even though extreme precautions were taken, like brass horse shoes for example, there was little or nothing left of the workers. VERY DANGEROUS occupation.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Who else in the US makes Black Powder and Subtituted ?
There are no other BP manufacturers in the US; Goex is (was) the sole BP plant still in operation, stateside.

Almost everyone who is serious about their BP prefers Swiss brand [made in Switzerland, if you can believe it!] tho', which is the feline's loungewear[1] by all reports.

Alliant Powders makes (distributes) a BP substitute, or did: I haven't had any excuse to buy any for the past couple of years, but Sportsman's Warehouse was the best source for it at the time; really bargain priced! Alliant had originally planned to bring it to market as "Black Dot" to fit in with their naming system for their other powders, but changed the name to something else which escapes me at the moment. IIRC, it is another ascorbic acid based propellant, so it is hygroscopic as all get out, but as long as you can keep it sealed & use it expeditiously after opening it is generally well-liked. No nasty corrosion issues like Pyrodex (which is even more corrosive than BP!)

[1] "Cat's pajamas" for those who aren't hep to the latest jive talk.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Word out is Goex has been sold. There's hope for a US product!! One that I have been using for about 50 years!
From the Ruger.net forum:
Looks like it was a company called Estes Energetics, and they will continue manufacturing GOEX powder.
Estes Energetics (https://estesenergetics.com/) is pleased to announce the acquisition of GOEX from Hodgdon Powder Company. This last remaining commercial scale black powder factory in the United States produces GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, which are highly regarded by competitive and recreational shooters, re-enactors, and muzzleloading hunters, as well as fireworks manufacturers. GOEX black powder also propels the model rocket motors of sister company Estes Industries, the leading model rocket brand, and supports the needs of the U.S. Military.
Estes Energetics to Extend the GOEX Black Powder Production Legacy
Well, it sounds like they are well-equipped to bring the plant back online properly, and to produce the powder safely:

article linked above said:
Estes Energetics is a defense and industrial company founded in 2021 that researches, designs, engineers, manufactures, tests, and integrates solid-propellant rocket motors, energetics and associated technologies for government and commercial customers.
If they are producing rocket motors for the military, then their safety department is top-notch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts